Style > Beauty

SuperStay All Day: My Hunt for a Long Lasting Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As a lipstick aficionado, I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect liquid lip. Lipstick is the cherry on top of any makeup look- it ties the entire look from the eyes to the contour, to the outfit together. The last thing I want to worry about during my night out is if my lipstick is still poppin’. Or, if it’s still even!

pexels-photo-925292.jpeg

This began my detective ways, as many trips to Ulta were dedicated to finding that liquid lip. I needed something I knew would work, I could trust, and wouldn’t hurt my wallet. After all, I am on the college budget. I kept searching, testing, and was slowly losing faith. Was I going to need to shell out extra to get the perfect liquid lip?

Nope! Just when I thought I was going to give up, I found a holy grail product- Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink. I gave two shades the trial run during and night outs, and let me tell you, this product did not disappoint! In fact, I was so happy, I bought four more!

Maybelline-Super-Stay-Matte-Ink-liquid-lipsticks-review-brush.jpg

For one, you can’t beat the price. Each tube is around $7.99, and can be found in pretty much any CVS, Walgreens, or Ulta. Maybelline has been expanded its shade options, giving you 20 shades to choose from. This includes anything from the basic nudes to the bold, statement colors.

The real deal comes with the wear test. This liquid lip is here to stay! I’ve test out all the shades I own in the harshest of night out conditions- everything from sweaty situations to greasy meals. While the more nude shades tended to wear it out a little, the statement shades stayed strong. I only required slight touch ups on the inner sides of my lips, post meals. However, the rest of the lip remained intact and just as bold as the first application.

This lipstick comes with a precise application allowing you to really shape out that pout. Truly, no liquid lipstick has given me this much control on how I shape my lips. On top of that, color pay off is strong. While the nudes might need two layers, the statement shades only require one layer; one dip in the tube is enough to cover your pout.

The only downsides to this lip are the cleanup and the overlayering. Because color pay off is so strong, cleaning up a mess can lead to some color smearing. It’s nothing a makeup wipe and touching up your concealer can’t fix, but it does mean a little extra caution and time dedicated to edges. Overlayering is an easy mistake with any liquid lip, and can lead to over drying.

Hopefully, you all fall in love with this product like I did and helps end your quest for the perfect liquid lip!

maybelline-lipstick-superstay-matte-lipmacro-01-voyager-round2_grande.png

Second year student at the University of Virginia.
Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!