Stop Paying Five Bucks for Starbucks Coffee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

College has caused me to develop a serious coffee addiction. I love Starbucks, but spending five dollars everyday on coffee quickly depleted my bank account. I didn’t want to give up all my favorite drinks like the creamy pumpkin spice latte, or a sweet vanilla coffee, so I went on a hunt to discover the best store-bought coffee and make-at-home Starbucks drinks. After trying many different brands of coffee and making many different combinations of drinks, here are my four favorite grocery store coffees and copycat Starbucks drinks. 

1. Starbucks Dark Roast Iced Coffee

The Starbucks Dark Roast iced coffee tastes exactly like the iced coffee you would buy in-store. It’s smooth, balanced, and doesn’t have that fruity undertone flavor that I hate in lots of coffees. You can find it at almost every grocery store, and for five dollars you get four drinks worth (or three if you’re like me and drink too much coffee). Mix the coffee, vanilla unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla creamer together and it tastes just like the Starbucks Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold brew. 

Photo via hollyjadeturner.com

1. La Colombe Draft Latte

La Colombe Draft Lattes are perfect if you want a good grab-and-go coffee. They come in individual cans, have multiple different flavors, extra caffeine options, and most are only 100 calories a can. If you’re not a big fan of super sweet coffee, try the black hard cold brew or the unsweetened latte. I personally like the vanilla draft latte and their new seasonal drink, the pumpkin spice draft cold brew. 

Photo via happyinthebox.com

1. SToK 

SToK coffee is great if you like your coffee on the bold side. They have an unsweetened, a not-too-sweet, and a sweetened option. Their coffee comes in 48 oz jugs, and what I really love is that your coffee comes already mixed with almond milk or oat milk. The one downside of SToK is that they don’t offer any flavors besides vanilla and mocha and I tend to get a little bored of always having vanilla. 

Photo via stokbrew.com

1. Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

Now that it’s finally fall, pumpkin spice has taken over the shelves of the grocery store again. Inspired by the Pumpkin Spice Latte, Starbucks did us all a huge favor and came out with a Pumpkin Spice creamer, and it is amazing. Mix the Starbucks Dark Roast iced coffee (Medium Roast works as well), unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice creamer and it tastes just like the Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew you can get in-store. 

Photo via starbucks.com

Second year student at the University of Virginia.
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!