This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The mission of Southern Smash is to get men and women to challenge the notion of being bound by numbers. McCall Dempsey was interviewed for this piece. McCall Dempsey founded this organization in 2012 after her own 15-year recovery from an eating disorder. After completing her treatment she knew that she had to pay it forward.

How did the foundation start?

I was called to LSU to share my story and thought it would be a one-time thing, I included things such as a scale smash with a sledge hammer and eventually it got much bigger… traveling and speaking on this topic became my life’s work and passion.

What kind of events do you do?

There’s two main events. The Scale Smash discusses the idea that thoughts and numbers hold us down, and symbolically allows participants to let go of any number, whether it’s number of calories, miles to run, or a phrase such as self harm, depression. These numbers or phrases are tied to balloons that partipants use to represent their feelings of being constrained by such ideas. The balloons cant be released because of environmental issues, but this fact further symbolizes the weight these things have on us, and baggage we constantly carry.  There is also a table to write down something positive to take away with you.

How does the media influence women’s body image issues?

The media portrays eating disorders in a glamorized way by showing people such as Lindsay Lohan and publiclizing her struggle. People lose themselves in the midst of all this, often finding themselves suffering in silence behind closed doors. Our goal is to emphasize that nobody is perfect and we need to find a balance rather than being “perfect”. The media should also shed light on the fact that every body size can be healthy – health is not restricted to just a few body sizes.

Are body image issues and eating disorders as common in men as in women?

Yes, eating disorders and body image issues don’t discriminate by race, gender, or sexuality.

What does body positivity mean to you?

Body image is coming to accept your body as it is. This doesn’t mean you like it everyday, it, but that overall, you accept your body. Usually, picking at your body means having a deeper stress and using the body as a battleground. We need to learn to acknowledge, love, and honor our bodies.

Southern Smash is coming to UVA on Tuesday, March 22nd. There will be a Scale Smashing event 11 AM-2 pm on South Lawn, as well as an informative, very interactive panel from 7pm- 8pm in Newcomb Kaleidoscope Room including McCall Dempsey, a nutritionist, a therapist from CAPS, as well a student sharing her own story.