SOS: I Have a Date Function

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There’s nothing a fashionista loves more than a good ole date function. The chance to dress up in your most ridiculous outfit, take a million photos and dance the night away.  What more could a girl ask for? But the prep work can be a bit tedious when you’re trying to find the most killer costume without breaking the bank or resulting to rave gear or a spare football jersey. Luckily, we’ve searched high and low and have come up with an easy go to list to find the perfect date function outfit no matter the theme.

Get in touch with your craftyside
Sometimes costumes can require a bit of 3rd grade cut and paste skills on steroids. Best place in Cville to find all your crafty needs? Your local Michael’s. They’ve got everything from feathers and sparkles to giraffe ears and t-shirt paint. Sometimes crafting can be a little pricey so be sure to check out the clearance section for knick knacks.

Embrace Walmart and Kmart
One would be surprised of the little gems they can find in Walmart and don’t forget Kmart, too! Don’t spend your money buying a yellow t shirt for a lion costume at Michael’s, look for the same top at a lower cost at one of these places! Both also have a craft section so be sure to check that out, too. Best costume from Walmart I’ve ever seen? – A jellyfish made from a see through umbrella. Use your imagination, it was awesome.

Makeup to make you up
Any time I can find a reason to wear bright red lipstick, fake eyelashes or cover myself in head to toe glitter, you can bet I take full advantage. And it’s fun! What’s a Sandy and Danny costume pair without her red lipstick? Check out CVS or Ulta Cosmetics for cheap costume makeup. Any time you’re headed to Ulta, be sure to print a coupon from online, they always have some sort of special running, so don’t miss out!

One gal’s trash is another gal’s treasure
My number one go to for date function costume are thrift stores and consignment shops. Not only are there a ton of them all over Cville, but the money you spend often goes towards helping others in need (like Good Will, SPCA Rummage and the Salvation Army).  My best clothing find? Straight up American flag shorts. Best prop? (I always bring props) A Boyfriend of the Month calendar. Best theme to shop for? Tacky holiday sweaters and vintage wear.
Goodwill, SPCA Rummage, Salvation Army, Ike’s Underground Vintage Clothing, Twice is Nice, Glad Rags, Low

Surf the costume boxes
What’s a college girl without her costume box/bin/trunk/bottom of the closet? Search around and ask your friends for costume specifics. I promise you they’ll be willing to loan you their gold unitard for a night, and I also promise you you’ll be able to return the favor when they come knocking on your door in need of a costume accessory! Best borrowed accessory? – A tutu and dollar bill earrings with matching chain included.

Boys, boys, boys
Boys at UVA always have really, well, interesting things stashed away in their rooms. I’ve seen some interesting outfits from guys in my day, but if you’re looking for any kind of jort, baseball cap, jersey, preppy attire, gangster wear, penguin suit?.. ask your guy friends. I’m sure they’ll be willing to part with their jorts for one night. They might be more hesitant about the penguin suit; they grow attached to things like that…

College is the one time in your life when walking into a bar as tiger, a hippie, or in head to toe leather is totally acceptable. And now that you no longer have to worry about where to go to make your perfect costume come to life, let your imagination run free and work it girl!

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.