Snacks on Snacks on Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There is almost nothing we collegiates dread more than studying for finals. I mean realistically who can remember 4 months of molecule configurations or facts about modern China? But finals is also a time where other habits go into overdrive; like social media, lack of hygeine, online shopping and of course crazy eating habits. For some, finals is a time where eating is simply just forgotten about. But for me, there is really nothing worse than finally cracking open that textbook and hearing a loud growl come from your stomach. So my advice? Come prepared! Here are some suggestions from college blogs of healthy snacks to work into your study schedule.

1.     Yogurt and pudding parfait:
It is hard to find appropriate library snacks. It cannot be messy and if you’re on McGregor status you better make sure it’s not crunchy. Take a bowl, or cup or really anything and alternately layer any kind of flavored yogurt with pudding of your choice. Mix it up and add in granola layers or top it off with fresh fruit, whipped cream or honey.

2.    
Chocolate covered strawberries
Who doesn’t love a chocolate covered strawberry? Make a bunch to bring along to your date with your calculus textbook for a healthier sugar burst. Look in the grocery store for the microwaveable dipping cups to make it quick easy and painless.  Or take a study break, melt some chocolate over the stove and dip away!

3.    
Go nuts for your own trail mix
Nuts are a great snack for a salt craving because they contain all the good stuff we want: protein, fiber and rocking antioxidants. Mix some almonds or walnuts with pop corn, pretzels and some dark chocolate bites for a salty sweet alternative and get a great source of magnesium to boost your energy. 

4.    
 Fruit, fruit and more fruit
Of course fruit is the healthier option to an apple turnover from Greenberrys. And if we’re talking power fruits, blueberries are all the craze for antioxidants and brain power. But if you’re looking for a more interesting fruit snack, try to dip a banana in honey, roll it in nuts and stick it in the freezer. It’s sweet, crunchy and salty all wrapped up in one!

5.    
Mini pizza
Sometimes, you just cannot resist the urge for a big ole pizza pie, juicy hamburger or giant sub from Little John’s. Try making your own with whole grain English muffins. Sauce, cheese, English muffins and an oven are all you need to satisfy that craving without packing on the calories and going into food coma during a late night study sesh.

You need food to power your brain, and you need your brain to study for finals, so it only makes sense for snacks to be essential during this crazy time of year when Clemons starts to smell like a foot. Try reaching for these healthier options first before ordering late night to Alderman or clearing out the entire Greenberry’s display case. Not only will you not pack on extra pounds before beach week, but you’ll actually feel better and more energized by choosing wisely!

Sources:
http://studentslife101.com/2012/04/14/top-5-study-snacks-you-should-try-now/
http://collegelifestyles.org/2012/04/10-healthy-study-snacks/
http://www.associatesdegree.com/2010/11/16/100-healthy-study-snacks-you-should-reach-for-instead/

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.