Six Ways to Donate for Disaster Relief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In less than a month, two hurricanes have hit in the Southern United States and the Caribbean, there were multiple wildfires in the Western United States, and Southern Mexico experienced the most powerful earthquake the country has seen in 100 years. Here are some organizations that are accepting donations for these causes.

Of course, not everyone is able to donate, but even $10 could make a difference. Urge your families and friends that are able to make a donation or multiple. If you cannot donate yourself, see about organizing fundraisers with organizations you are involved in, or try to find local ways of supporting those who are being affected, such as food or clothing drives.

1. The American Red Cross, as well as the Antigua and Barbuda Red Cross, and Mexican Red Cross are all accepting donations for hurricane, wildfire, and earthquake relief.

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

2. Oxfam America and Mexico for hurricane and earthquake relief. Oxfam also has teams throughout the Caribbean.

3. The California Fire Foundation is accepting donations for firefighters and their families affected by the recent wildfires.

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

4. UNICEF is accepting donations in order to provide resources to affected areas, and will also focus on its main mission of returning children to school after the natural disasters.

5. Random Acts partnered with Family Business Beer Company is fundraising on Crowdrise.com for multiple charities, such as the Texas Diaper Bank, that are providing aid for victims of Hurricane Harvey.

6. Sites such as GoFundMe and YouCaring also have donation pages for individual and specific causes that you can donate to.

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

*Note: This is not a comprehensive list of every organization you can donate to. These are just suggestions of reputable charities. There are, of course, many other ways to provide relief to those who need it. However, be sure to do your research on whatever cause you choose in order to avoid scams and insure your money is actually going to the cause you want it to.

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science