This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Have you ever shown interest in Korean dramas but didn’t know where to start? Maybe you’ve seen recommendations appear on your social media feed or heard a few friends eagerly talking about their latest show. Now, you want to see what the fuss is about. Don’t worry, you aren’t alone.

During the Summer of 2022, I began watching Korean dramas due to a persistent friend who could binge-watch four shows each month. Now, I am extremely grateful she introduced me to television outside the United States. Though cheesy at times, these shows provide a break from our daily problems and are addicting to watch during quiet nights.

The amount of K-drama genres is endless, but romantic comedies remain my favorite category for beginners because of the adorable, bitter-sweet sentimental moments shared in rom-coms. If you’re interested in watching some rom-com K-dramas, consider these highly favored mainstream shows on Netflix as a place to start.

Business Proposal

As my first K-drama, this addicting, lighthearted K-drama lives in my heart rent-free. How could anyone resist the love story between a wealthy CEO who looks like an archaeopteryx and a woman who accidentally throws her shoe at him? This show fits perfectly for those with low attention spans, who love cliches, and who love a passionate kissing scene (episode 7…episode 7). Some viewers fall in love with the show’s second leads’ love story a little more than the first couple’s, but I thought they were each endearing in their own way, and both the men were unconditionally smitten with the two women leads. 

It’s Okay Not to Be Okay

This drama follows the love story of an antisocial children’s author and a brother who dedicates his entire life to caring for his autistic older brother. Though the drama is dialogue-heavy and has intense episodes addressing mental disorders, nothing beats the visuals of the show (such as the female lead’s astounding outfits) and the acting of two of the biggest actors in Korea: Seo Yea-Ji and Kim Soo-Hyun. 

True Beauty

No show will ever make me happy in the way True Beauty does. I watched the entire season during Spring Break, and it remains one of my favorite shows as it balances serious issues such as suicide, beauty standards, and bullying with a comedic script and heartwarming scenes. The show famously follows the life of a high-school teenager who changes her life through make-up and a cold (but secretly sweet) boy who recently lost his best friend. Like Business Proposal, this show is perfect for those who enjoy a simplistic plot and a good laugh.

Alchemy of Souls 

If you’re drowning in homework or responsibilities, please do not start this show; it will have you in a chokehold. Suddenly, you sleep, eat, breathe the plot, and don’t want to do anything else besides watch the entire series. This show, inspired by Korea’s Joseon dynasty, dives into a fantasy world with magical sages and villains who can switch souls with whomever they choose. The well-paced plot will leave you on the edge of your seat, screaming at the television, wishing death on the antagonist, and pausing an episode to run around the house in embarrassment or shock. If you favor fantasy and a drama that does not entirely focus on romance, this one’s for you. 

Doom at Your Service 

I do not recommend watching this show in public. I remember actively shouting in the middle of class because a scene overtook me…it taught me to stop watching shows during class. Doom at Your Service explores a love story between an immortal deity created to spend eternity repaying evil for evil and a novel editor who’s diagnosed with brain cancer. They make a deal that eventually teaches them what it means to be alive and the importance of love. The drama remains one of my favorite comfort shows. 

My Beloved Summer 

I’ve never met anyone who had a bone to pick with My Beloved Summer, and if they do, their opinion is wrong. This extraordinary K-drama follows the story of two past lovers who document their relationship in high school and reconvene in adulthood despite their hatred towards each other. Though some say the first few episodes move slowly, the plot, visuals, and chemistry between the main couple pick up immediately after the first episode. From loveable characters to a perfectly developed plot to beautiful cinematography, the show is a must-watch. 

Extraordinary Attorney Woo 

This show appeals to those who love shows about law and also look for neurodivergent representation. The main female character is an autistic lawyer who uses her talents in memory and problem-solving to crack seemingly unsolvable cases while fighting the stigma around autism inside and outside the courtroom. From cases that expose issues found in the real world to a slow-burn love story, the show perfectly balances a complex plot that makes each episode unique.

Blanly Rodriguez, a dedicated writer for Her Campus, is thrilled to contribute to the magazine. Her enthusiasm is not just about being part of the publication but also about honing her writing skills and delving into compelling topics that resonate with women across all Her Campus campuses. Beyond Her Campus, Blanly is a student at the University of Virginia. In the past, Blanly has written for an international non-profit working to increase foreign aid for countries whose large percentage of citizens live below the poverty line. She has interviewed incredible women warriors such as the founder of Lydia House International, Margo Rees, and the founder of ICAP at Columbia University, Wafaa El-Sadr. She has been writing ever since fifth grade and even wrote an unpublished book she swears will stay locked in the files until the day she dies. When she's not writing, Blanly enjoys walking outside while listening to music, hanging out with friends, and reading. She enjoys reading silly romantic comedies or novels exploring topics on race and gender. Her favorite musicians are Beyoncé and BTS, but she loves listening to all types of music. She says her fatal flaws include spending money on sweet treats and buying album books.