This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

After your requisite fall trip to Carter Mountain, you find yourself returning with six pounds of apples and no idea how you and your roommates will be able to eat them all. If apple pies are too unoriginal for your taste and apple strudel too difficult, here are some more unique and simple recipes to try so you don’t waste all those apples:

• Cinnamon Apple Chips
What it is: A healthy alternative and sweeter alternative to potato chips. Cut an apple into thin slices, dehydrate the slices in an oven or toaster over and sprinkle on cinnamon-sugar.

What you’ll need: 1-2 apples, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp of sugar

• Crockpot Apple Butter
What it is: No cooking skill required for this recipe, all you need is to throw the ingredients in a crockpot to make this delicious apple butter that you can put on toast, pancakes, or biscuits.

What you’ll need: Enough apples to fill a crockpot, 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves,1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp vanilla, 2 tsp lemon juice

• Apple Cider (see also Hard Apple Cider)
What it is: Why buy a gallon of apple cider when you can make your own? Use a crockpot to make this tasty fall drink, which you can also let ferment to make a hard cider.

What you’ll need: 8 apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar 4 sticks cinnamon 1 tablespoon whole cloves 1 whole allspice 10 cups water 

• Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Fries
What it is: Apple slices fried in a pan and coated in cinnamon-sugar, it’s that easy. 

What you’ll need: some canola oil, 2 large apples, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp

• Apple Pie Bites
What it is: A quick and easy alternative to apple pie, it’s instead made in little snack-size portions.

What you’ll need: 2 medium apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 pkg refrigerated pie crust, 3 tbsp melted butter

• Apple Cinnamon Sangria
What it is: A refreshing and festive drink for fall that can be garnished with a cinnamon-sugar rim. You just chop up your apples, put all the ingredients in a pitcher, stir, and it’s ready to be enjoyed!

What you’ll need: 3 large apples, 1 bottle of white wine, 4 cups apple cider, 1 large squeezed  orange, several dashes of cinnamon, A dash of ginger, 1 or two dashes of cloves

Hi, I'm Allyson! I am a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus as well as a contributor for the University of Virginia chapter. I'm currently a 4th year at UVA and majoring in English.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!