Period Dramas with Historically Accurate Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’re a period drama lover with an even bigger love for period-accurate pieces and silhouettes, here’s a shortlist of films and series that more or less got it right.

And no, Bridgerton did not make the list.

*Disclaimer* I am not a Dress Historian, only a huge lover of textile and dress history.

Versailles (2015 -2018)

Where to Watch: Netflix 

Versailles chronicles the early years of King Louis XIV’s reign. While the drama takes some creative liberties with some of the storylines and the inclusion of non-historical characters, they still stick to history when it comes to the period costuming. 

The drama’s costuming perfectly reflects the ornateness of mid to late 17th-century French court fashion under the rule of the Sun King. While most importantly, adhering to the period-appropriate silhouettes for women by including lengthened stomachers with a pointed bodice, off-the-shoulder necklines, and full sleeves with visible lace trimming of the chemise undergarment. As for menswear, the drama does not neglect to include the appropriate styles of doublets, breeches, and capes fit for the Sun King’s French royal court. Unlike many period dramas, Versailles also demonstrates the changing silhouette over time in the court of the sun king towards the end of the 17th century. Aside from accuracy, the costuming remains literally the most gorgeous period fashion ever in a television series to date. 

The Favorite (2018)

Where to Watch: Hulu

The Favorite is a period comedy set in the early 18th century during the reign of Queen Anne of England. The film perfectly nails the early 18th-century silhouette and the English court fashion through the inclusion of the mantua gown (as an opposed to the general robe a la francaise they love to slap on any female character in any 18th century period piece) with properly shaped stomachers, and frontages (the hairpiece that looks like a coffee filter).  Although the film’s costuming incorporates a black and white color pallet, which isn’t the most historically accurate, it remains quite effective for stylistic and storytelling purposes. Therefore, the silhouette accuracy coupled with the inclusion of men in over-the-top, period-appropriate long wigs, The Favorite definitely remains a gem when it comes to story and costuming. 

Emma (2020)

Where to Watch: Prime Video, Youtube

Emma, based on Janes Austen’s novel of the same name, does Regency-era fashion justice by using the period-appropriate silhouettes for both male and female costuming. The garments in Emma take detailed notes from the neoclassical period of fashion during the early 18th century. The female costuming perfectly adheres to the column silhouette with the well-known empire waist with hemlines that skim the floor. While the men’s costuming includes the starched high collars and highly tailored coats, waistcoats, and breeches. 

Most importantly, they included bonnets!  Despite their prevalence in the early to mid 19th century, many period pieces set during this time omit the bonnets for stylistic purposes. They aren’t the cutest, but they are still an essential identifying clothing piece of early to mid-19th-century fashion. Yet, Emma incorporates them beautifully. The movie also stars Anya Taylor Joy, which should automatically move the film to the top of your watch list.

Hi! I'm Cheyenne a second year student at the University of Virginia. I look forward to writing about all the exciting university hot topics from academics to relationships. Stay tuned for more!