Nedda Najand ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Nedda Najand
Year: 3rd Year
Major: Comm school
Claim to fame: interned this summer for Katie Couric

Nedda Najand is a campus celeb in and of herself (if you’re lucky enough to be friends with her on Facebook, simply note the amount of likes she generates with a new profile picture), but this summer she truly solidified her status as a UVA legend by interning with none other than UVA alumna herself, Katie Couric! I caught up with Nedda to discuss her internship at Katie’s daytime talk show Katie, an encounter with Regis Philbin, and future fame.

How did you hear about the opportunity to work for Katie Couric? What organization sent out the job opportunity?
I heard about it from my best friend Ese Shaw who saw the job posted in CavLink. He told me to apply because it was up my alley. The job description didn’t have Katie’s name, but it did say it was to assist an ABC Daytime talk show host. I took a break from studying for my accounting final to apply. Little did I know it would change my world…

How did you find out you got the job and how did you feel?
I was in the car driving my friends Kate and Phillip to rehearsal and I started freaking out when I saw a call coming from area code New York. I had to pull over while we were on the phone because I couldn’t handle the excitement. I started crying after she said I got the job! I called everyone I knew and changed my status on Facebook – easily my most liked one. It had like 375 likes (laughs) It’s one of my favorite memories!

That must have been a super exciting moment! What do you think made you stand out from your typical applicant?
One of the reasons Meredith (Katie’s assistant) told me she hired me was because she liked my cooking show on YouTube, Nomz With Nedda! (Check out her channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/NomzWithNedda) She said it was nice to see me turn my creativity into action.

Describe your day-to-day life on the job in New York. What were the hours like?
My hours were normally 9-5, but I loved working as much as I could! I always wanted to stay and help lend a hand. I got to follow Katie on photo shoots, interviews, and watch test tapes/help out on set. I ran errands for the show, but they were fun – like going to Cartier to fix Katie’s watch, 5th avenue here I come! Running errands let me see pretty much all of Manhattan. Every day was different and they treated me more like family than just an intern.

What was your favorite part about working for Katie Couric?
My job was just really cool, I got to go in every morning and say “Hey Katie!,” so my favorite part was definitely the Katie family. Katie has the best support system in the world; everyone is Team Katie. The show works together like a family and everyone has a niche. It was really cool to see a TV show start up and the whole process behind it. I got to see the set go from an empty black studio to what is now the Katie studio!

What was your favorite day at the Katie office?
My favorite day would have to be a tie between escorting Regis Philbin into the studio (shoutout to Matt) and doing a Katie show community service day with Harlem RBI. Regis called me the lost Kardashian. I still don’t know if that’s a compliment…Also, working with Harlem RBI was a great way for the Katie Show to help out together – executive producers, researchers, everyone came out! It was nice to see everyone outside of the work environment and just having a blast working with kids.

Did you get to meet any celebrities? If so, who?
I got to meet Caroline Rhea and Regis Philbin, and I saw Demi Lovato and Wendy Williams! God, I wish I stayed longer.

What can we expect from Katie? How does it differ from other talk shows?
Katie is one of the most relatable people you will ever meet. Her ability to empathize with everyone regardless of age, gender, or race is amazing. She has this contagious smile and really takes the time to get to know everyone. She takes her job very seriously and has drive that you don’t see in others. That’s what makes Katie, Katie. Her show is different than others because she won’t just be talking to her guests and asking questions, she’ll be relating to them. She has a diverse experience in the entertainment industry which just makes her even more well-rounded – you’ll see her reporting in the Middle East or shopping with Taylor Swift. If anything is possible, Katie can do it!

Wow, I can see you’re definitely a fan! Maybe one day you will acquire your own fan base — has your experience sparked your interest in working in the broadcast or TV world?
Definitely. My dream has always been to work in front of the camera. Whether I’m working a cooking show or talking, it’s where I feel the most comfortable. I’m really creative and personable; the entertainment industry is definitely in my future. I love to entertain and meet new people!

What advice would you give to a student trying to procure an internship like yours?
Just do it! If you have a cool idea, act on it. That’s the difference between you and other people. A lot of it is connections, but trust me I didn’t have any. They simply hired a girl with a dream and the drive.

Great advice! Do you have any specific plans for interning next summer?
I would love love love to go back to the Katie offices! My friend said she knows some people in LA for ABC. I really want to do [financial] consulting though; Deloitte would be a lot of fun! I also got to talk with one of the editors of Cosmo while I worked in New York… so we’ll see ?

Sounds like you have a lot of great options and opportunities on the horizon! Final question — what would you name your own personal talk show if you had one?
Nedda. I mean Katie has five letters, Oprah has five letters… It’s meant to be!

Nedda can be spotted around grounds, at the Comm School, or idolizing the Kardashian sisters on TV! Keep a look out for this girl because she’s headed straight for the top.