Life > Experiences

My Top 5 Dishes at Corner Restaurants, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

For UVa students, the Corner is not only a forum for fun with friends but also a place rich in culinary depth and new experiences to try. As a third-year student, I’ve become something of a connoisseur of Corner food that will give you the best bang for your buck. Here are my top five Corner restaurant dishes, ranked in no particular order.

‘El jefe’ bowl, roots natural kitchen

Roots’ ‘El Jefe’ bowl is protein-packed with black beans and chicken, and you’re sure to get your daily serving of veggies with its kale, creamy avocado, grilled corn, and red onions. In my humble opinion, the pita chips are what really make this bowl and give it the crunch it needs to take it up a notch. Top it off with Roots’ signature cilantro lime dressing — and don’t forget to add the works with a slice of lime and a splash of Tabasco. I am rarely ever as happy as I am when I finish this bowl, and that is not an exaggeration.

mac & cheese, the Virginian

The Virginian’s mac & cheese serves as the perfect amalgamation of comfort food. Its creamy sauce has a peppery kick, elevating it a step above your average mac & cheese. What really makes this dish so special, though, is the hashbrown patty on top. It’s like you’re breaking through one delicious layer to get to another. You’re also guaranteed to get a bang for your buck no matter if you get the snack size or entrée portion; if you get the snack size, it’s enough to fill you up in one sitting, and if you get the entrée portion, you’ll probably have some leftover to enjoy later. This mac & cheese is the edible equivalent of a warm hug, and you won’t want to miss it.

fully loaded Nachos, Asado

I could go on (and have gone on) about these nachos, but for brevity’s sake, I’ll give you a quick rundown. Asado’s perfectly crispy tortilla chips are topped with queso blanco, crema, pico de Gallo, and your choice of meat (I usually go for chicken). Although they’re marketed as shareable, I could easily finish these by myself. They are filling, savory, and fresh, and I know of no better complement to wings or margs with friends.

plain bagel with lox and veggie cream cheese, Bodo’s bagels

Okay, so this one may seem a bit specific, but trust me. If you’re a fan of lox, then this is the bagel for you. I order this with a plain bagel just to mellow out the saltiness of the fish (I have found that if you get this with an everything bagel, the saltiness can be a bit overpowering). The veggie cream cheese is a tasty, smooth sidekick to the lox, and its hint of sweetness from the carrots in the cream cheese makes for a harmonious flavor combination. I know no better way to start my day.

the gus burger, white spot

Last but not least, I present to you one of the Corner’s most renowned dishes. The White Spot’s Gus Burger is a familiar staple to UVa students, but I feel the need to advocate for it nonetheless. If you’re like me and LOVE a runny egg yolk, then the Gus burger might just be for you. This burger marries the breakfast beauty of a runny fried egg with the all-American taste of a hamburger, cooked to perfection. No matter whether you’re an incoming first-year, a tourist stopping by, or a student who hasn’t gotten the chance to swing by White Spot, it is imperative that you give this burger a try.

And my honorable mention goes to GotDumplings’ Thai tea simply because I cannot technically consider it a dish. However, I absolutely love boba and the sweetness of Thai tea, so this drink is guaranteed to put a smile on my face, and I think it will put one on yours, too.

Be sure to support Corner businesses and try these wonderful dishes. Bon appetit!

Hi! My name is Jaden, and I'm a first-year English major from Franklin County, VA. I love all things pop culture, but I'm currently obsessed with Euphoria, Wes Anderson movies, and Sally Rooney books. I also LOVE Phoebe Bridgers and Hozier! Aside from writing, I love to spend time with my friends, sing, and play my guitar. Wahoowa!