My Favorite Lush Skin Care Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’re anything like me, college brings out the worst in your skin. The stress, the weird food, the calcified shower water; together, it means a nightmare for your skin. For me, the stress of college and lack of sleep is what hurts my skin the most. Luckily, one of my favorite stress busting, self-care activities is skin care. If you haven’t picked up on it yet, my skin is particularly sensitive and troublesome. Because of this, Lush is my favorite skin care company. They use all natural ingredients, and their products are fresh when you buy them, so they don’t irritate my skin at all. I have 5 favorite skin care products from Lush, and writing this article gave me a chance to use them all in one day. Here’s my journey in which I use all 5 of my favorite Lush skin care products:

Before I use any of these products, I need to take off my makeup.

Here’s me with makeup, looking cute as heck.

And here’s me without makeup, also looking cute as heck, but a lil’ oily.

Before I can get started, I always put my hair back with a headband to keep it out of my eyes and the product!

(It can be a struggle to put on.)

Next, I need to rinse my face, just to make sure I have a clean base to work with. I want to follow the scientific method here, so I need to fix some of my variables (aka my face grease). I use the Walmart brand of Cetaphil, a gentle cleanser that doesn’t irritate my skin, but also strips the gunk out of my pores.

(I’m aware that this isn’t a Lush product, but like I said, I need a clean base and this is what I use.)

Time for the Lush!!!! The five products I’m using today are Herbalism, Cup O’ Coffee, Dark Angels, Mask of Magnaminty, and Grease Lightning.

First off, I use the Herbalism face wash. This cleanser is made of kaolin clay, almonds, and rice bran, all of which are good for oily skin types. It smells like Thanksgiving, due to the rosemary and sage, and all of the herbs leave your skin feeling refreshed. It comes in a dry, clay-like consistency. To use, take a small bit of the product in your hands and mix it with water until it becomes a paste. Then, rub it all over and rinse.

\

This is what it looks like in the pot.

And this is what it looks like on me!

My next product is the Cup O’ Coffee face and body mask. This is the first mask I ever bought from Lush and it will probably always be my favorite. It’s made of kaolin, coffee grounds, agave, and cocoa extract. It leaves your skin completely smooth and bright. My face feels like a baby’s butt after I rinse this off. To use, rub the product all over your skin to exfoliate. I leave it on for 20ish minutes, then rinse!

In the pot.

Time to wait!

Outfit Change, Homework Time, and Procrastination: A Face Mask Saga

Wow!! My skin feels so smooth and awake!! It’s like I absorbed the caffeine right out of the grounds. Coffee, you’re doing amazing sweetie!

The next product I use is Dark Angels, a black sugar scrub/cleanser. It’s made for sensitive, acne-prone skin, and is made of Rhassoul mud, avocado oil, sugar, and charcoal. I like to use Dark Angels before I do my makeup in the morning, because it leaves me feeling matte and clean. It also comes in clay form, so it is used the same way as Herbalism: mix with water, scrub, and rinse.

In the pot. (Sorry it’s so hard to see, there’s hardly any left!)

Time for mask, round 2. Now I’m using Mask of Magnaminty, made of kaolin, primrose seed, and peppermint oil. This mask smells *so* good, fresh, and pure minty. The peppermint and clay deep clean your pores and the seeds gently exfoliate the skin. It doesn’t say this on the pot, but I like to wet my skin a little before I apply the mask because it helps the clay spread out on your face better. Otherwise, apply like you would any mask, wait 20 minutes, and rinse!

Taken just as I realized that maybe I shouldn’t do multiple fask masks in one hour? What will happen??? Stay tuned for more green swamp girl updates!

For the final product, I use the Grease Lightning spot treatment. This is a clear gel made of tea tree, thyme, and rosemary oil, in a blend of aloe vera. It’s my go-to zit zapper; the tea tree oil dries acne and cleans the pore, while the aloe softens the skin and moisturizes the area. I like it because my face doesn’t get dry and flaky when I use it, like other spot treatments. Use the pump bottle to squirt some product (a little goes a long way) onto your fingers and gently dab onto trouble spots.

Now, for the final reveal.

Is this not the complexion of a matte and happy camper? It doesn’t look like much of a difference from before the spot treatment, but that’s because the gel is clear. Either way, my skin did not fall off from excessive use of face masks, but instead feels clean, tight, and fresh! I recommend every product I used in this article, and you can find the products in the links below!

1. Herbalism: https://www.lushusa.com/face/cleansers/herbalism/9999906956.html
  2. Cup O’ Coffee: https://www.lushusa.com/face/masks/cup-o%27-coffee/9999905552.html
  3. Dark Angels: http://www.lushusa.com/face/cleansers/dark-angels/9999906954.html
  4. Mask of Magnaminty: http://www.lushusa.com/face/masks/mask-of-magnaminty/9999900411.html
  5. Grease Lightning: http://www.lushusa.com/face/cleansers/grease-lightning/02896.html

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!