This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is Mack Hodges, a fourth year with an affinity for biology and educating others.

Mack answered some questions about his activity filled summer:

Her Campus: What did you do this summer?

MH: I worked as a scribe in the Emergency Department at UVA in June and then traveled to South Africa to teach Biology in the rural province of Limpopo for the rest of the summer. 

What initially motivated you to do it? 

The University of Venda in South Africa reached out to UVA for help creating a new Biology curriculum that might inspire more of their high school students to pursue future interests in the sciences. Four undergrads, myself included, were recruited to design and implement the program and spent around 8 weeks in-country to ensure its success.

What did you learn? 

We’ve got it pretty good here. 

How will you take what you’ve learned this summer and apply it to your life at UVA?

We’re going to combine gathered educational research data from Africa with our newly formed teaching schemes/laboratory ideas to assist in-need schools in the surrounding Charlottesville community. 

Major?

Biology and Psychology

Something people don’t know about you?

I’m adopted from Chicago.

Involvements?

UVA Emergency Department Scribe, Peer Health Educator, Student Council: Safety and Wellness rep, Global Medical Training (VP), Integrated Neuroscience lab technician, Jefferson Public Citizen project member, Center for Global Health project member

Biggest Inspiration?

Leslie Hodges