Katie Albert ’12 and Kate Southall ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

They’re blonde, blue eyed, and fierce as anything. If you’ve been to a UVa basketball or football game (and if you haven’t by this point in the year then you’ve been living under a rock!) then you’ve no doubt seen these beauties dancing and pumping up the crowd. Katie Albert and Kate Southall are this year’s Virginia Dance Team captains, dedicated to helping their teammates and making the team look flawless. Whether behind the scenes during practice or on the JumboTron during a game, these ladies are showing UVa students and alumni alike the spirit and commitment of the dance team.

Katie Albert
Year: 4th
Major:Kinesiology, Sports Medicine
Hometown: Midlothian, VA (just south of Richmond)
What is your favorite thing about being a captain?
My favorite thing about being captain is watching the progress of the team. Especially since we had 6 new girls coming in this year, there was a lot of pressure on us to get everyone ready for the season, and it was really awesome seeing the beginning stages, working as hard as we could and teaching as much as we could, and then seeing where the team is today. It’s incredibly rewarding.
What is the most difficult thing about being a captain?
Sometimes it is hard being one of the authoritative figures while still being everyone’s best friend, but I think that we do a good job of not taking anything too personally and separating the two. Also, the logistical planning and organizing is sometimes a hassle, but all the good times outweigh the negative by far. As long as I get to dance and have a good time with my team, I’m happy!
What has been your most memorable dance team moment?
 Oh, gosh…it’s hard to pinpoint just one! That would have to be a tie between my very first football game (nothing can match that adrenaline rush) and dancing in what felt like a monsoon during a football game my first year on the team. Even though we looked like drowned rats, we definitely made some hilarious memories that day.
How do you keep your calm during an intense game? A disappointing game?
You just have to pretend like you’re in practice doing your thing. You’ve prepared as much as you can up to that point, and now it’s time to show what you can do. During a disappointing game, we always tell jokes to keep each other’s spirits up and just keep in mind that well, the dance team’s still undefeated! (whether or not that’s because we don’t compete is completely beside the fact) 
Who is your role model in terms of dancing? In general?
I’d have to say that my biggest role model in dance was my ballet master at Richmond Ballet, Malcolm Burn, who was almost like a father figure to me. Everyone thought he was so mean and stern; however, if you took his harsh criticism positively rather than negatively, you realized that he was so hard on you because he knew you could do it. That was some of the best advice anyone has ever given me. Rather than taking criticism as an insult, think of it as a good thing because it means that they haven’t given up on you, and they know you have the potential. Outside of dancing, my biggest role model would have to be my mom. She has gone through some really hard times, yet she still has such a positive outlook on life and always has a smile on her face.
Do you hope to continue to dance after graduation? What are your post-graduation plans?
 I hope to keep dancing, but I still haven’t quite figured that out yet. I have always thought that dancing for a professional team would be awesome, but it just depends where I end up. I could always be a coach for a high school team/college team. After graduation, I’m going to take a year or two off and then go back to school to get my doctorate in physical therapy.
When did you start dancing and what type of dance background do you have?
I started dancing when I was two and a half and went to Richmond Ballet. I went through the middle and upper levels at Richmond Ballet and also had the honor of being a trainee my senior year of high school.
What traits do you think are necessary to be a good captain?
Confidentthat you know what you are doing and able to back it up. Motivating and motivated even on the days when you don’t have much energy. Positive and never willing to give up to ensure you can be the best team possible.
What would be your advice to a dance team hopeful?
Go out there and give it your all! If you hold back, no one’s going to know your potential, which doesn’t do anyone any good. Mainly, have fun and show people that you’re having fun! If it looks like you’re having a blast doing it, guaranteed, people are going to enjoy watching you.
If you could have one super power, what would it be?
It would probably be a tie between being able to apparate and being able to fly. Yes. I am a Harry Potter nerd.
[pagebreak]   
Kate Southall
Year: 3rd
Major: English and SWAG
Hometown: Amelia County, VA
This year I’ve really enjoyed watching and being a part of the progress of our six new girls on the team, as well as our five second-year members.  They’ve all been pushed a lot this semester and each of them has stepped up to the plate in individual ways.  I love the fact that at this point you can’t tell a new girl from an old girl, and as a captain this year I’ve loved working with everyone and hearing their ideas for making the team better.  I think that as captain I’ve been better able to notice the dedication and positivity the girls put forward every day for the team, and it’s a really rewarding experience to see everyone coming into their own.
Definitely having to discipline people.  It’s hard being on the other side of things, but rules are rules and it’s important to maintain consistency when it comes to punishments and consequences so everyone will be held accountable for their actions.
RUSHING THE FIELD AFTER THE MIAMI GAME MY SECOND YEAR. It’s much more terrifying than fun when thousands of people are running toward you instead of with you….
Most embarrassing moment? 
The first time I was on the JumboTron during a football game.  The camera man zoomed in on my face for WAY too long…  It got awkward really fast.   
What’s the craziest thing you’ve seen a fan do?
The dance team has a perfect view of the shenanigans of the student section on the hill during football games.  It rained a TON during one game my first year and the hill turned into one giant mudslide.  Fans were diving down the hill towards the end and almost flying into girls on the front line. 
How do you pump up the girls before a game/ half time performance? 
We always come together right before game time, and I just go for a lot of encouraging words and positivity. Energy is the key to a good game, so I try really hard to get everyone excited to go out and perform no matter how our team is playing.  We have a really strong team and the girls definitely pump each other up before and during performance time. 
How do you and Katie work together to be effective captains? 
Communication is key. Katie and I are always honest with each other and trust each other’s judgment.  We also utilize each other’s individual strengths on and off the field.
What do you do in your free time?
A lot of Hulu watching and hanging out with people on the dance team. 
How did you first get in to dancing?
My mom put me into a small dance studio in my hometown when I was three.
What do you and the girls do to keep in shape? 
It’s not too hard to stay in shape during the season because of practice and games, but we all work out and pay close attention to our diets outside of dance team. It’s a constant struggle living a stone’s throw away from the corner, so we all do a lot of running and conditioning when we can.
What’s the one song that when it comes on you can’t help but dance to? 
Countdown by Beyonce has been on my most played since this summer.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.