This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In recent years, we have seen many different trends in cosmetics emphasizing more natural and dewy looks. Bold makeup that defined the 2010’s is a foreign look to college women that are often going to class bare faced or with minimal mascara and lip balm. That being said, is lipstick out with young people? And what will this mean for the cosmetics industry looking forward?

Gen Z Are Less Likely to Wear Lipstick

According to Circana’s US report on beauty trends in 2023, 42% of Gen Z wear lipstick, compared to 62% of all make-up wearers. While makeup trends are unpredictable and change with the seasons, I am hesitant to think this number will increase over time as Gen Z ages. “Lipstick” has become almost a dirty word with young people, associated with the heavy makeup worn by older generations. Themes such as “clean makeup”, “no makeup makeup” and “clean girl makeup” have gained cultural significance in recent years, with little room for lipstick in this aesthetic.

Expect cosmetic brands to expand their product lines to non-lipstick lip products to appeal to young consumers

We are already seeing companies strategically adapt to this shift in consumer preferences by releasing lip oils, tinted lip balms, and overnight lip treatments to attract Gen Z business. It is clear that glossy, subtly tinted lips are in, and young people are saving bold lips for going out or special occasions rather than everyday wear. How different are non-lipstick lip products from lipstick? Where do we draw the line between a tinted lip balm versus a lipstick? The answer to that has much more to do with consumer perceptions rather than actual product differences.

Don’t be easily swayed by aggressive digital marketing campaigns by large cosmetic brands

If you feel like ads promoting lipstick have been shoved down your throat recently on TikTok, you are not alone. With the rise of TikTok Shop, merchants and creators can provide links to products and earn commissions. My For You Page has been flooded with promotions for Tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Plump, which is an excellent example of a company aligning their product offerings with consumer preferences. Tarte advertises this product as an “All-in-1 plumping balm, gloss, color & hydrating treatment with buildable coverage & a glossy plump finish”. But seriously, when you look at this product, it is literally a lipstick. A hydrating and shiny lipstick. Yet, as it is positioned as a “balm”, “gloss”, and “hydrating treatment”, it becomes much more appealing to young consumers. Just remember to look at product ingredients and reviews rather than getting caught up in buzzwords and marketing efforts.

Claire Brodish is a third-year student at the University of Virginia studying Commerce. Claire serves as the chapter's President. Keep up with her on Instagram @claire_brodish xx