Informal Fall Recruitment for Sororities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

From Monday September 9th through Saturday September 21st, girls who sign up for fall recruitment meet the girls in participating sororities through planned events and activities.  Informal recruitment is an opportunity for older girls and transfers at the University to join the sorority community. 

Molly Gardner, Public Relations Chair of the Inter-Sorority Council at the University, explains that the activities range from movie nights to coffee dates.

“Informal Recruitment is a great opportunity for upper-class women at UVA to join the sorority community through a fun and casual process,” she says.

Not all sororities participate in fall recruitment. This year the sororities participating are the following: Alpha Chi Omega (AXO), Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi), Delta Zeta (DZ), Gamma Phi BEta, Sigma Sigma Sigma (Tri Sig), and Zeta Tau Alpha. 2nd, 3rd, 4th years and transfers who are not already affiliated with a sorority can participate in fall recruitment. At the information session held on Sunday September 8th, approximately 175 girls at UVa attended. 

Informal recruitment offers a completely different experience from formal recruitment for girls who would like to join a sorority. It might even allow women in sorority chapters to get to know the potential new members better since the process places a heavy emphasis on casual hang-outs like game nights, apple picking, movie nights, or even grabbing lunch or coffee. 

Learn more about events for fall recruiment here