How to Transition Summer Looks to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Now that it’s fall, I have nearly an entire wardrobe that is unusable. While I wait for summer to come back around, here are some ways to transition that heat inclined wardrobe of yours to the fall. 

Shorts: Treat shorts like skirts and throw on a pair with tights and boots. It’s cute, and it won’t fly up in the wind like a skirt will. Although I love my skirts, that tendency they have to expose my underwear or to get in-between my thighs is not so cute. Shorts have none of these issues and work just as well.

Sun dresses: There are some dresses that simply don’t look quite right with tights. But some sundresses can be transitioned really well. Throw on a pair of tights (extra points for colored ones), a pair of boots and a sweater. If need be, layer to create your dress into a skirt. I have a few dresses that can transition into winter by throwing a cashmere sweater over them and acting as if they were skirts the whole time. Remember, layering is your best friend.

Crop Tops: While showing off your stomach may be great when it’s 90 degrees and you’re sweating, it’s not such a great plan when the wind is ripping through Grounds. This is the perfect time to layer! Throw a fun colored tank under your crop and a sweater over that and you’re set to face the cold. You can even practice your color blocking.

Thin Shirts: While layering is always an option, you also should remember that in your classes it won’t be as cold as it is outside. While I do like to walk around in the outfit that I planned, just putting on a pea coat, or your trusty leather jacket, makes pretty much any top wearable to class with jeans and boots. Need something extra? Throw a scarf over that jacket and then strip it down to look as cute as always in French or English or Bio.

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!