This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Nike shorts, oversized t-shirt cleverly worn in… perfect hair and makeup? It’s a cute look and we’ve all worn it… right?!

We go to a school where brands do matter. Those norts aren’t knockoffs from TJMaxx. That shirt is definitely from Southern Tide, Patagonia, your sorority, Vineyard Vines. You’ve got Nikes, Chacos, or Rainbows to go along too. Sometimes “dressing down” is one of our most expensive looks.

It’s very easy to buy brand name things and wear them just like everyone else does. Isn’t it true that popular brands are popular because they’re quality? More comfortable, more versatile, longer lasting… right?

The thing is that sometimes, our favorites are popular for the wrong reasons. Yes, your Barbour jacket is guaranteed a lifetime and is likely to last that. And yes, your LifeProof case efficiently guards that incredible bit of computing power you take selfies with. But when your Frye boots need resoling after only one year? Or when your Jack Rogers sandals give you painful and bleeding blisters? How about when your Longchamp looks ten years older than it is (because it’s kind of just canvas)?

At UVA, we are all beautifully intelligent people. But sometimes, we hide behind a mask of brand names and silly trends. I think the key to surviving all this brand loyalty – and being more than your norts – is buying SMART, not trendy.

1. Check customer reviews and warranty policies.
People tend to be more honest when anonymous and online. Watch for key phrases like “cute once you’ve broken them in!” or “I’ll admit, I splurged on these!”. Companies that put a lot of faith in their products offer warranties as well, and you can feel much safer purchasing.

2. Comb through thrift stores for those high price tag, short closet life brands.
Ok, so you can’t live without that Vineyard Vines t shirt. It’s $40! Swing by the local Goodwill (someone’s already worn it in for you!) and snag it for $2.50.

3. Invest in popular items that LAST.
Some brands like Patagonia, Barbour, Nike, and Rainbow are excellent. Talk to your parents, and let them tell you about the Clark’s shoes they had in high school! Birkenstocks have been in style for ages for a reason! If your mom can wear something out of her closet from the 80s with pride, it’s probably a brand worth looking in to.

4. Don’t evaluate anyone based on their billboard abilities.
Sometimes it’s easy to identify with potential friends or love interests because they’ve got the familiar wardrobe staples on display at all times. But keep in mind, maybe that cutie in unidentifiable sneakers is dying to take you out and that cutie in Sperrys is dying to take you upstairs.

1st year at UVa, in the College of Arts & Sciences from Charlottesville, VA
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!