This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As winter weather begins, it is extra important to take care of ourselves to keep our skin and hair hydrated and our spirits high. Seasonal depression is so real and can deeply affect our wellbeing, so looking and feeling like my best self helps me feel better. Here are some habits and products that help me survive winter in college!

Apply thick hand cream to your hands and feet at night, and lock in moisture with a pair of fuzzy socks.

Anyone else get super dry skin during the winter? Cracked, dry skin on your hands is no fun, so being proactive about moisturizing really helps. A thick hand cream is my best bet, and I definitely recommend using vaseline over any areas where the skin is broken or cracked since scented moisturizers can be irritating. Putting a pair of fuzzy socks over your feet (duh) and your hands (a little more out there) is a comforting way to lock in moisture and make sure you don’t get lotion all over your bed sheets!

vaseline body stick
Walmart

Use a hair mask at least once a week to keep your hair hydrated.

Hair masks have been a complete game changer in my hair routine. As someone with dry, curly hair, I am always looking for ways to add more moisture into my hair. Hair masks have really helped improve the appearance and curl pattern of my hair. I have noticed my hair looks more soft when I keep up with hair masks.

Sip on hot peppermint tea at nights to relax, unwind, and debloat.

Mint tea is my absolute favorite nighttime tea, especially in the wintertime. Mint tea is great for calming digestive issues, such as bloating. Sipping a cup at night as I get ready for bed helps me feel snatched in the morning (or at least I think it does). And if you aren’t sold on its debloating effects, it still is a great tasting tea.

Switch to shave oil for a more moisturizing shave.

Personally, I think shave oil is a must year-round. However, it is extra important in the winter. I am a big fan of the Tree Hut shave oils. They are a bit pricey compared to a typical shave cream, but I think the difference in quality justifies this. Shave oils help you achieve a clean shave while leaving your skin feeling smooth and moisturized. I find that I don’t need to moisturize my legs after shaving if I use a shave oil. I love the way my skin feels after using shave oil, and I encourage everyone to at least try out shave oil. 

Romanticize the season with cute, comfy PJ sets.

Personally, I love a cozy PJ set. I think investing in PJs rather than just wearing sweats to bed makes my nighttime routine stand out from the rest of my day. I have a pair of pink kitty cat PJs I wear to bed, and sometimes my guy friends make fun of me for them, but I am such a supporter of the comfy grandma PJs. I also think Victoria’s Secret silk pajama sets are a really great choice for a more sexy (while still comfortable) option. 

Incorporate hair oil into your hair routine if you haven’t already.

Hair oil is so amazing for adding shine to your locks. Cold weather can lead to brittle, dull hair, so avoid damage by keeping your hair hydrated. Since there is some confusion on how to use hair oil, I will briefly explain. Apply hair oil to dry hair, using a small amount on your ends and sparingly spreading through the rest of your hair. Hair oil can be used before or after styling your hair with heat tools.

Invest in a cute, comfy jacket to stay warm.

In the winter, cold weather can discourage us from getting out of our rooms and doing important things on grounds, like going to class, office hours, or studying in the library. Having a “go to” jacket that matches well with your wardrobe simplifies the process of getting ready and can help encourage going out. Fuzzy light colored jackets are super in right now, so I would recommend finding one in that style or a faux fur jacket is always really fun and cozy. 

Claire Brodish is a third-year student at the University of Virginia studying Commerce. Claire serves as the chapter's President. Keep up with her on Instagram @claire_brodish xx