Hip Hop Extraordinaire Charles Zhao ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Third year Charles Zhao, a self proclaimed “people watcher”, is definitely a person we would like to watch.  He’s got it all:  he’s a Comm schooler with big aspirations and a passion for hip-hop. Charles is also starting a cultural movement as the founder/president of UVA’s Student Hip- Hop Organization.  With events ranging from epic parties at X-lounge to lectures with some big names in Hip Hop, Charles and the whole SHHO crew are bringing Wahoos together to share their passion for hip-hop culture.  Take a closer look at this one of a kind student and be sure to check out SHHO’s next event (and trust us, after reading this, we’re sure you’ll want to!).

What prompted you to start Student Hip-Hop Organization?
It started as a simple idea: bring together an underground thriving hip-hop culture at UVA and together spread awareness of the artistic and cultural values that hip-hop embodies. Hip-hop culture played a role in my teenage years, mostly because of basketball, a love for all kinds of music and art, and an interesting passion for Nike/Jordan sneakers and street fashion. Coming into UVA, I didn’t really see the culture I identified with – there was a lot of ethnic and cultural separation and the diversity I saw didn’t appeal to me. Hip-hop culture is such a unifying instrument because it doesn’t discriminate – fans of hip-hop music and culture come from all types of backgrounds, and I wanted to bring together that culture at UVA. I pitched the idea to a couple of friends who loved hip-hop just as much as I did and together we started The Student Hip-Hop Organization at UVA in the fall semester of 2010.

Can you give a brief description of Student Hip-Hop Organization for those who don’t know?
It’s a little hard to explain in words, but I can try my best. We like to identify ourselves not as an organization but rather a cultural movement. The Student Hip-Hop Organization at UVA is a unifying movement to bring together the underground hip-hop culture at UVA and to teach and show others what hip-hop culture really is. Hip-hop culture is about self-expression, individualism, and creativity – values that the University of Virginia lives by. People get it confused sometimes, but we are not a performing organization. Although some of our members dance, rap, or sing, our goal as a whole is not performing. Instead, we do a lot of cool things for the University. Large-scale, we program events representative of hip-hop’s values: guest lectures from reputable figures in the culture (we’ve brought 9th Wonder, Malice of the Clipse, Skillz, and others), art displays and exhibitions, parties that bring cultures together, and of course, concerts with artists we feel represent the culture (we’ve brought Big Sean, Mac Miller, Clipse, and Kendrick Lamar and Stalley are coming on November 5th). Small-scale, we are a recognizable collective of passionate students who try to promote higher learning through hip-hop that can be as easy as carrying certain swag around Grounds, promoting music we appreciate, and spreading the movement we’ve created.

How has it grown/what recognitions have you received since the UVA chapter was first founded?
It’s grown from a simple idea to an influential movement. It started as 13 original members and has grown to a force of passionate students each sharing the same goal. In our first year of existence, we were honored to receive the award for CIO of the Year – an award we take pride in but also acts as a motivating factor to continue striving for success. We’ve gained a lot of publicity from school and local publications and we’ve been featured on many big blogs and sites on the Internet. The passion and drive that has led to our success has influenced people all around the nation. We take pride in being the inspiration for the expansion of SHHO to schools around the nation – all sharing the same common goal of higher learning through hip-hop.

Who’s your favorite kind of music/artist?
I grew up listening to all kinds of music, so I can’t say I have a favorite kind of music. I played cello and piano growing up, so I have a deep passion for classical music. I simply have a great appreciation for the art and creativity of music as a whole, but I would identify with hip-hop the most. My favorite rapper of all time is Nas.

What has been your favorite SHHO event/why?
It’s hard to pick, but if I had to, it would be the 9th Wonder lecture.  It definitely exposed me to a new side of culture and learning I’ve never really seen before. It just made it even cooler that we had the honor of hosting a hip-hop legend. It really humbled us and showed how far we had come.

What are some sweet events we should immediately mark down on our calendars?
Our next concert! We, along with our friends at UPC, are honored to have Kendrick Lamar and Stalley live at the SAB on November 5th. Kendrick Lamar is one of my favorite artists right now and is considered by many to be the best rapper right now. Stalley just signed with Rick Ross’s Maybach Music Group and is one crazy performer as well. Tickets are available at Newcomb and online at www.uvaupc.comor www.theshho.com/uva.

Any DJing/ rapping skills you have yourself?
I wish. I’ve always wanted to be a DJ, so if anyone out there can teach me, hit me up! If I tried to rap, people would cry, and I don’t mean that in a good way.

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Dvorak’s New World Symphony. That piece is so awesome.

What do you do in your free time?
Nothing really interesting, ha. I spend a lot of time kicking it with the homies playing FIFA or taking naps. I eat a lot at Ni Hao Café because it’s next to my apartment. I people watch pretty frequently. With the rest of my free time I try to stay productive with Class Council, Madison House, and other cool involvements.

What do you hope to be doing after graduating? Do you hope to be doing something like SHHO?
I’ll probably end up somewhere where Comm School takes me. My dream job has always been Google, Apple, or a big record company. But for now, I’m still thinking.

Any future goals for SHHO?
To watch it grow and continue to influence the University, especially after all the original founders graduate next year. Oh, I’d really like to find a way to meet Kanye West, too.

How can students get involved in SHHO?
Anyone can become a general body member! Or you can apply to be a part of a committee early next spring. Shoot me an email at ycz3an@virginia.edu if you’re interested in changing the world.

What’s a quote or motto that you live by?
“If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars.”