This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’ve got the travel bug, why wait for everyone else to get their shit together? Our time in college moves fast and before we know it, we get hit by the real world. Solo travelling is becoming more and more popular and while there are concerns to keep in mind when travelling solo as a woman, that should not deter anyone from biting the bullet and going off on their own. If there’s a place you’ve always wished to visit, a site or monument or experience you want to check off your bucket list, try going at it alone. 

Short-distance travel destinations are the best bet starting out. You’ll know the language and travelling to the location shouldn’t be too complicated. Here are some ideas of where to plan your first solo adventure, along with some tips on staying safe. 

Around Charlottesville 

(Photo via @dallinjohnson on Instagram) 

Obviously, Monticello. Thomas Jefferson’s estate is about a twenty minute drive from Grounds and there are a range of tours to choose from, like the Hemings Family Tour and the Hamilton Tour Takeover. Tickets for a day pass start at $23. 

To continue with this historical theme, Ash Lawn-Highland was the home of James Monroe and is about a 25 minute drive away. Often referred to as Monticello’s less busy cousin, there isn’t an online ticketing option but Monroe’s Highland is a short and easy option for a day trip that’s a little bit out of the city. 

If you feel like completing the trifecta, James Madison’s Montpelier is another presidential home, though further away at about a 45 minute drive. An Uber or Lyft may not be so feasible for this trip so this may be limited to those who have cars with them this year. 

And beyond

Moving on from the Charlottesville area, with an airport, Amtrak and bus station in town, there are a number of places to embark to when a clear weekend or break comes around. 

Washington D.C.

(Photo via Shirley Chu) 

Starting with the obvious, DC is the closest major city and with many free attractions, such as the Capitol Building, Smithsonian and the Supreme Court, it is a great option for a solo travel excursion. With the Washington Metro and the circular buses, it’s easy to get around and from Charlottesville, an ideal place to have your first solo travel experience.

How to get there: 

Flight, CHO-IAD 45mins 

Amtrak direct route, from 2hr 27mins

Greyhound bus, from 3hr 10mins

New York City

(Photo courtesy of Shirley Chu) 

Again, another obvious one. New York City is great for solo travellers, it’s a perfect walking city and has one of the largest subway systems in the world. While a trip to New York may be a little more pricey, checking out free hours at museums and happy hours at restaurants or cheap tickets to a Broadway show, a solo trip on a budget to New York is definitely doable. 

How to get there: 

Flight, CHO-LGA, 1h 21mins

Amtrak direct route from 6hr 37mins

Boston

(Photo courtesy of Shirley Chu) 

A walking city with a great train system, Boston is a town full of history and interesting architecture. Take a wander through Harvard University, check out the Freedom Trail and or taste your way through the Boston Public Market. 

How to get there:

Flight, CHO with one layover route, from 3h 45mins

New Orleans

(Photo courtesy of João Francisco from Unsplash.com) 

Yes, it’s a bit of a schlep from Charlottesville but New Orleans is the perfect fun get-away to experience a taste of the South. New Orleans’ famous French Quarter is known for great shopping and food and get your bit of history with a Plantation tour. 

How to get there:

Flight, CHO, with one layover, from 4h 

Final Tips 

Make sure your Find Your Friends app on. You may not have allowed your family to track you while at college but when you’re travelling on your own, it’s best to let as many people as possible know exactly where you are. 

Hostels are usually the best idea for booking accommodation, especially if staying on budget is key. Check reviews, inquire about complementary WiFi and take special notice of the hostel’s location as often the cheapest ones are the furthest away from the city. 

Plan ahead. Know which areas of the city you are exploring that day and research which areas to avoid. Keep your sight-seeing to the daytime. 

If you’re not comfortable with eating at a restaurant alone, there are ways around this while still eating well. Check out food trucks, public markets, or places with take away food so you can people watch and observe your new environment. Or, just go for it, no one cares. 

There is no better exercise in true independence then travelling on your own. While it may be daunting, there is no point waiting around to find people to travel with when you can go and enjoy your own company in a place you’ve always longed to visit. Good luck, stay safe and have fun!

Hi, I'm Lydia and I'm an exchange student from the University of Edinburgh currently at UVa for my year abroad. I'm a 3rd Year studying History and English Literature.
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!