A Guide To Finding Your Perfect Study Abroad Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

College is for broadening your horizons, and what better way to do that than actually changing yours? Studying abroad is something that many students choose to do: according to the International Studies Office at UVA, 2,262 wahoos went abroad during the 2013-2014 school year. Choosing to visit a foreign country is a big deal, and it’s important to find a program that fits your needs. Luckily, there are tons of different opportunities to see the world. Find out which is right for you, renew that passport, and hit the airport!

Semester Abroad: The most traditional way to go abroad is to study at an international university for a semester. This is a great way to get to know another country well, since you have more time to spend there. However, a lot of students are hesitant about missing a whole semester at dear ol’ UVA.

Semester at Sea: This unique program allows you to become a world traveller, as you live and learn on a boat while hitting several travel destinations during your semester on the water. This is a fantastic opportunity to see a lot of different places, but you trade being able to really get to know one place really well.

Summer Session/J-Term: If the thought of living overseas for a few months is too much for you, consider a summer session or J-Term abroad. Typically six weeks or 10 days long, respectively, these sessions allow you time abroad without having to sacrifice a semester at UVA. Additionally, it’s a great way to sneak in more credits (and have fun while doing so). Marina Batalias (’16) explains “I thought that doing January Term abroad was a unique experience because you get the feeling of studying abroad without the stress that comes with a longer period of time abroad. I would totally recommend a J-Term for those who want to study abroad without the long term commitment!”

Service Trip: There are many ways to become involved in a service trip, including programs through UVA or often through your church. Maria Wnorowski (’17) describes her experience going to Haiti for spring break: “Participating in a service trip for spring break is something challenging yet filled with incomparable rewards. It is challenging for the obvious reasons, like giving up a week of relaxing, but also for the less obvious – like having to face culture-shock after spending a 7 days in an impoverished area. However, the rewards make it totally worth it. Not only are you making a difference in the community and the lives of the community members, but you also are taught lessons about different people, cultures, and yourself that you would never learn in the classroom.”

There are so many ways to go abroad, and many resources such as scholarships to help make it happen. For more information, see the International Studies Office in Minor Hall. Bon Voyage!

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!