This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I’ll admit it: I am addicted to coffee. The addiction came about this semester when I decided to try coffee over tea. Little did I know I would soon become dependent on it for late night studying and early morning classes. But I have made a vow to myself – this week I will go back to tea, and see the effects of the switch.

In high school I rarely drank coffee – probably as little as twice a month. I stuck to green tea because I loved the taste and it gave me enough energy to focus for the day. Green tea has many benefits that college students should take advantage of, especially with the winter months approaching (snow on Halloween? What was that?).

Nadine Taylor, M.S., R.D. wrote a whole book about green tea and its health benefits called, Green Tea: The Natural Secret to a Healthier Life. On her website she writes, “For centuries, doctors, healers and tea drinkers have known that green tea possesses remarkable healing properties. Today, the results of decades of research show that green tea truly is a “steaming cup of medicine.”

The different benefits Taylor points out are, “Boosting the immune system, regulating cholesterol levels, fighting the build-up of sticky plaque in the arteries, interfering with the cancer process, assisting in weight loss, fighting harmful bacteria and viruses, protecting the body against free radical damage.”

College students need all the help they can get with their immune system and fighting of viruses. In dorms and apartments where everyone seems to be getting sick, a late night at the library may throw your immune system off because your body needs sleep to stay strong and healthy. Taylor writes, “green tea comes equipped with its very own antibacterial and antiviral capabilities, most likely to defend itself against invading insects, bacteria, fungi and viruses.”So a cup of green tea can help you build up you immune system when your body needs it.

The freshman fifteen is a dreaded term many fear and try to avoid at all costs, and green tea can help! Taylor finds that studies show, “Green tea appears to fight obesity by increasing the rate of calorie burning, reducing body fat levels and preventing excess weight gain.”

Last but not least, green tea has been found to help improve memory related learning according to Taylor. Taylor cites a study out of Japan called the Tsurgaya Project, which found, “a higher consumption of green tea is associated with a lower prevalence of cognitive impairment in humans.”

So drink up ladies! Green tea is good and good for you! There are so many different kinds of green tea too that you can find at grocery store or markets. Also, on the Downtown Mall there is a restaurant called the Tea Bazaar and they serve over 40 different flavors of tea! So next time you need a caffeine boost, metabolism boost, or immune boost – go for the green tea.

photo credit:
greenteaextractbenefits