Get Organic With Cosmetics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

So you look in the mirror and admire yourself. You are all dolled up…make-up, mascara, chap stick, hairspray, and don’t forget the icing on the cake…lotion. That image in the mirror is smiling back at you thinking, “Don’t I just take such great care of myself?” Well ladies, we may not be taking as great of care of our bodies as we think.  In fact, our go-to cosmetic products may be poisoning our bodies. I recently had the luxury of learning about the ins and outs of cosmetics from Alison Mamadou, a cosmetics representative for NYR Organic Products. Alison has dedicated her time to passing on all she has learned about the dangers of the products that are stashed in all of our make-up bags.

As someone who cares so much about what I put in my body, I trust the FDA to inform me of any hazardous foods. However, there is no FDA equivalent for cosmetics in the U.S., so what we put on our precious skin is left unregulated by any agency. What does this mean? This means that there can be traces of toxins such as lead and various Phthalates in your lipsticks, perfumes and other products. Studies have indicated that these toxins can lead to periods at an earlier age, infertility, and various cancers including colon and breast cancer. Johnson & Johnson just released that they had known of cancer causing agents in their baby shampoos, and are promising to slowly eliminate traces over the next few years. Good to know only some of our babies will be rubbing cancer-causing agents on their heads.

So what does this mean for us? Do we have to abandon wearing makeup and washing our hair out of fear that these products we’re using contain harmful toxins? Absolutely not. Alison introduced me to products that I could rave about for days…organic products that are certified carbon neutral, and are certified to make you never want to poison your beloved skin again. These products use only wild, organic and natural ingredients that help ease stress, boost health, improve the condition of your skin and revitalize your body and mind. Not convinced by all my “toxin-talk”? Well ladies, I hope you take my word that once you go organic there is no coming back. I can assure you that after receiving a facial from Allison using NYR Organics products, I have never seen my skin look so refreshed and healthy. I cannot imagine why there would be any resistance to products that are not only better for you, but make you feel and look better as well.

So I leave you with the opportunity to search for yourself. Look into the many articles that fill the Internet warning you of the products you are slathering onto your skin. And when you’re done, make sure to check out the NYR Organic website. Unfortunately, finding organic cosmetic products in the U.S. is still quite “sketchy,” as there is no agency that ensures the products are safe. However, these affordable international products are stamped with a seal of approval by the United Kingdom…not that there should be any price on ensuring you are your healthiest self!

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.