Career

Five Networking and Professional Development Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Networking and professional development can seem like daunting tasks. Students are told over and over again to go network, but are rarely told how to do so. I recently attended a networking workshop that offered great and unique advice about how to network effectively. Here are some of the tips I learned!

1. Follow up with an article

One way to make a connection with a professional you would like to add to your network is through a follow up email. You can help make your follow up email stand out by attaching an article you think they would appreciate. The article can pertain to something you talked with them about or their industry. This is a creative way to stand out from the generic follow up email and it also shows additional interest. You can introduce the article in your email by saying “ I ran across this article that reminded me of our conversation and thought you might find it interesting.”

2. Set Google Alerts for companies of interest

When you have an interview or are at a networking event a great way to stand out from other candidates is to know the latest about the company and the industry you are interested in. An easy and convenient way to do this is by setting Google Alerts. A week or two before the event set a Google Alert for the company you will be networking with in order to stay up to date on the company’s latest news. Then, try to find ways to slip your new knowledge casually into conversations.

3. Know the positions of the people you will be networking with

People tend to gravitate towards the biggest name or the person highest up in the company. When there are so many people vying for that one person’s attention, you may not get a lot of time to talk to them and form a connection. Instead, try to find out who his or her right hand person is. This person may not have the most important position, but they are trusted in the company and have the ear of a lot of people.

4. Quantify activities on your resume

One of the things I’ve been told to do on my resume that people may overlook is to add numbers on your resume. Instead of saying you led a marketing team, be specific. Say how many people were on the team. This will stick out to people reviewing your resume and can be much more impressive than just words.

5. Remember names and conversations

This is easier said than done You may talk to a dozen people at a conference or networking event and it can be difficult to remember names and the conversations you had with everybody. One trick is to write a short blurb about the person or the conversation you had with them on the back of their business card. This way you can reference the conversation you had with them in your follow up email. If you are able to show you really remember them, they will be able to see you are interested and attentive.

Now you are better prepared to network and find that dream internship or job! Good luck out there!