This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the weather becomes cool and crisp and the leaves begin turning colors, Mother Nature gives us warning signs that fall has arrived. To many people this means a new array of foods to fill their plate, a change from last season’s produce. Summer foods are out and its time to welcome a new season of local fall fresh foods. Charlottesville offers many opportunities to buy local foods, so why not stay in season?  Worlds Healthiest Foods says that in season foods taste better because they are more flavorful and nutritious.  They are also more affordable! Many people stick to the grocery store to buy their produce and often buy foods that are out of season because they are available, but try mixing it up this fall and find a local farmers market to buy local and buy fresh.

What’s in season now?

Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Pomegranate, Grapes, Cherry, Butternut squash, Kale, Cauliflower, Edamame, Eggplant, Green Beans.    

My favorite easy fall fresh recipe!

Sweet Potato Fries:

Yum! These are great, they are like French fries but they have a much better flavor. Try out this recipe:

– 2 pounds sweet potatoes
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1 to 2 Tbsp sugar
– 1 Tbsp salt
– 1-2 Tbsp spice or spice combination of your choice: chipotle powder, smoked paprika, Chinese five-spice, pumpkin pie spice, garam masala, Cajun seasoning, etc.

Preheat oven to 450. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into wedges and put them in a large bowl mixing with olive oil. Mix all the dry ingredients and pour over the wedges mixing together so that all the wedges are flavored. Then spread the wedges on a pan and place into the oven. Cook for 30 min, turning them over after 15 min. Enjoy! 

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.