An Exclusive HerCampus interview with the Director of Flight of the Finch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I got an exclusive interview with 4th year Alex Jones, student director of the film Flight of the Finch. If you haven’t heard of it yet, read the synopsis below:

“After the death of his impulsive girlfriend, a hardened man grapples with memories of their tumultuous relationship in an attempt to come to grips with its end.

Waking to his empty apartment the morning after the death of his girlfriend, Jay takes the day off work to cope with his regret.  As he begins his day, the memories of his relationship with Eliza flood into his thoughts and allow him to reflect on what has been destroyed.  From the day they met, to the days they shared in the home they created, the lovers began strong. But, somewhere along the way, they began to bring out the worst in each other.  This is a journey through the human condition, being both good and bad. This is a journey where love isn’t kind, and sometimes isn’t enough to make you happy.”

Starring UVA students Dan Barr, Yvonne Fox, and Jacqueline Ford, this short film is Alex Jones pride and joy.

How did you juggle being a student and director at the same time?

Last semester and last spring, being a full-time student and directing this film, were incredibly hard.  Both semesters I was full time and working multiple jobs while this film was basically a full time job as well.  Not only did it take so much work, but I cared about the work so much, I wouldn’t accept it if I wasn’t pleased.  However, my hard work put me in a position to go part time for my last semester.  I decided rather than taking classes for fun, that I wanted to be able to dedicate all my time to this project.  I realized I wouldn’t be as happy and I wouldn’t learn as much from it if I didn’t take the time to really focus on it. I’m so glad I did.

What was the most difficult part of the whole process?

Accepting failure and dealing it with.  Nothing wanted to go right with this project, but giving up wasn’t an option.  Realizing that I had to lead the team through those struggles was a challenge for me.  It meant me facing the challenging and willing myself to fight through them even when I felt like I couldn’t. Then, in the end, we did and the project is definitely better for it.

How did you find your team?

I knew Liz from a former project that we worked on together, so I spoke to her directly.  We’ve run a couple of different recruiting campaigns and did auditions for the actors.  I didn’t know most of the team before the project began.

What would you have done differently or for a future piece, what would you do differently?

I definitely wouldn’t rely so much on overcoming my own weaknesses.  If we could have had the funding to pay professionals in some of the areas where I am amateur, I think the project could have been even better. Obviously, we didn’t have those resources and that’s not to say I’m not proud of our work, but I think collaboration and asking for help is an important part of a creative process.

What advice would you give to others who are looking to direct their own short film?

You have to be willing to struggle and hustle. It’s not an easy commitment. It’s not easy to find other people that are willing to make that commitment.  I was so lucky in that regard.  Even so, it required so much work and effort, but I would not be proud of our product if we hadn’t given our all.  

Where do you get your inspiration/Who is your greatest inspiration/What inspired you to make this film?

I get inspiration from almost everything I watch. I took a class on Alfred Hitchcock and he fascinates me.  I’m writing my thesis on American PsychoFight Club, and Memento, so they’re always on my mind. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Gone Girl were also visually and thematically relevant to this project.  My favorite director is Lenny Abrahamson and his film Garage from 2008 continues to inspire my work. 

Where do you see yourself going in the future?

New York or LA. I’m going to give it a shot.

Who do you consider your audience for this short?

Young adults.

Is the film available online? When can people see the film? 

No. The film will be making the festival circuit and will not be available online.  We will be doing a private screening for the UVA community at the end of March or in early April, but after that, hopefully you can see it in some festivals!

If you are interested in learning more about the movie, check out their facebook page and their indiegogo campaign.

Hey collegiettes! I'm a fourth year Psychology major at the beautiful University of Virginia, studying business analytics and research. My 2nd year, I was one of three committee members for the first ever HerCampus at UVA PR/Events Planning team, then 3rd year I was the chair of the team, and now I'm super happy to be their first ever treasurer. I'm so proud to see how HerCampus has grown since I started, not only in writing, but planning terrific events and growing our reach in the UVA community. Every year I meet a fantastic group of talented girls who can write and shed light on important topics, and also girls who are incredibly resourceful and skilled on social media and PR. I love HerCampus with a passion and I'm so glad for the opportunity to have met so many wonderful UVA collegiettes! 
Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!