Crazy about “Crazy for You”: A Review of the Drama Dpt. Seasonal Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The UVA Drama Department premiered its seasonal musical, “Crazy for You”, this Thursday at Culbreth Theatre. “Crazy for You” is running at Culbreth Theatre on Grounds from October 24-26, October 30-31, and November 1-2. Tickets are $16, but free tickets are available for all UVA students, as with all UVA Drama Department productions.

“Crazy for You”, a Tony-award winning Broadway musical-comedy based on music from George and Ira Gershwin, is about a banker who desires a life in show business. The show, directed by renowned UVA Drama Department professor Bob Chapel, features 33 university students in glitzy song and dance numbers that take the audience back to the time of 1930’s musicals.

As a miserable banker who seeks the stage, leading man Brad Fraizer plays a funny and charming Bobby Child. The third-year MFA Acting student, Frazier, shows off his truly professional talent in comedy, dancing, and singing. Frazier’s performance in the number “What Causes That?” along with Mike Long (3rd year, MFA Acting), had the whole audience laughing as the two played drunk and confused.

A scene-stealer of the show would have to be Chris Murray as Lank Hawkins, the gruff saloon-owner that wants to buy out the run-down theater that Bobby Child is trying to save. His biting insults were delivered in such a funny manner that his mean-spirited character became lovable.

Probably the most-known song of the musical was “I Got Rhythm”, which included most of the cast including leading lady Kate Gadzinski (4th year, Foreign Affairs & Religious Studies). This was also the catchiest out of the songs in the show and the most memorable as the cast tap-danced, made beats out of miscellaneous props, and sang beautifully in harmony. Credit is due to Emily Vrissis for the especially great choreography in this number.

The most surprising feature of “Crazy for You” was the costume design by Sarah Bryan (3rd year, MFA Costume Design &Technology) and the scenic design by Brian Barker. The costumes looked fantastic and true to the 1930’s. The Follies girls’ costumes were most gorgeous, and the scene design was the best I have seen from a Drama Department production. Barker really made the stage captivating with the sets that ranged from Broadway in New York City to a dismal small town of Deadrock, Nevada.

“Crazy for You” is not limited to fans of musical theater as it is a show filled with comedy, great dancing, and music. The hard-work of UVA Drama Department really shows through in this production, and it does not disappoint.

Hi, I'm Allyson! I am a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus as well as a contributor for the University of Virginia chapter. I'm currently a 4th year at UVA and majoring in English.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!