book fashion plants minimal cactus cacti cool style
Dimi Boutselis / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Looking for a way to brighten up your room (or dorm room)? Here are some of my favorite types of indoor cacti that would look great on your window sill!

Grafted Moon Cactus

My personal favorite! This cactus is actually kind of a mutant as it’s a cross between two different species, but I think that’s what makes it so cool. The colored part also comes in a variety of colors, and I’ve made it a goal to collect one of each color.

Bunny Ear Cactus

Hehehe it looks like bunny ears (the name is why I like this cactus so much)

Desert Gem Cacti

Available in multiple colors! Make the room pop with this splash of color! Special features include purifying the air!

Fairy Castle Cactus

This slow growing bad boy can get pretty big for an indoor plant (36in!), but it looks so cool.

Blue Barrel Cactus

When happy, it produces light yellow flowers in spring or summer. It’s like a little ball of sunshine, except prickly!

My favorite part about cacti versus other types of succulents is that they are very hard to kill (just don’t over water them)! You can water these babies like once a month and they’re good to go. I accidently left my precious moon cactus– named Arlo–  in my dorm over winter break and he was perfectly fine when I got back. They’re very low maintenance and make your room pop!

More cacti/succulent inspo:

Ariel is a 4th year writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Virginia chapter. She is a 1st year graduate school studying Commerce, and graduated with a bachelors in Kinesiology and Computer Science. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball, learning how to crochet, and creating Spotify playlists, and scrolling aimlessly thru 3 social media apps like clockwork. Keep up with her on Instagram @arielliuu!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!