A Chance to Dance: Giving Back through Charlottesville Ballet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As we enter the season of giving, many of us are finding ways to give back and give thanks to our community in some way. Charlottesville Ballet, a professional ballet company, dance academy, and nonprofit organization based in Charlottesville, has planned some fundraising events in the upcoming month to raise money for one of their programs, A Chance to Dance, and to spread awareness about the company.

A Chance to Dance program offers the opportunity to pursue dance in a healthy environment to children who come from more disadvantaged economic backgrounds. The program spends ten weeks traveling to different schools within the community and places interested children into dance classes. At the end of the ten week period, two of these dance students are chose to receive a full scholarship to the Charlottesville Ballet dance academy.

Charlottesville Ballet has organized and hosted several events to fundraise for this specific program. Coming up next, on October 30th from 6:45 to 7:30PM, Charlottesville Ballet is inviting anyone interested to take part in a barre class for $15 per person at the academy. The dance academy is located right off of Route 29. On November 7th stop by Berry Berry on the Corner and 15% of your purchase will benefit the Charlottesville Ballet. Also, stop by Sweet Frog anytime on November 16th to enjoy some frozen yogurt and help raise money for the ballet company and their A Chance to Dance program. To learn more about Charlottesville Ballet, their values, and their mission as a nonprofit organization, visit their website at 

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!