Assistant Director Devon Dawson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Over the past three and a half years at the University, Devon Dawson has kept herself very busy. Between managing the UVa Men’s Basketball team and working on a number of productions with the UVa Drama department, she still manages to find time to have fun. This semester, she’s working as assistant director for The Beaux’ Stratagem, which opens on February 17. Her Campus had the chance to sit down with Devon and talk to her about basketball, drama, and all things UVa.

How did you get the chance to manage the Men’s Basketball team, and what is it like?
When I got to college, one of the things I missed most about high school was all the sports I played.  So when I saw an advertisement for being a basketball manager, I jumped at the opportunity, hoping not only to get more involved in the UVa community but also to find that sense of team and family again.  I went in for an interview and started the job my second year.  As a manager, and there are ten of us, I have to go to every game and practice to help set up, clean up, rebound, run the clock, help with drills, and assist the coaches and players with anything they need.   Some the of the coolest things are definitely the seats I get for the games (right behind the bench), traveling to other schools (I’ve been to Miami twice, which is nice in the middle of winter), and most importantly, what I’d hoped for, having that sense of family in the basketball program. I feel fortunate to have the relationship I have with the coaches, players, and staff. Oh, and did I mention the players take their shirt off sometimes during practice?

Can you tell us a little bit about the play and your role as assistant director?
The play, The Beaux’ Stratagem, is very fun and exciting. To entice my peers to see it, I would tell them there’s lots of partial nudity, sexual tension, and sword fighting. It’s a restoration comedy by George Farquhar, that is witty, sharp, sexy, and fun – definitely a play that everyone can enjoy.  As assistant director, I help our fabulous director Betsy Tucker with anything that she needs.  We consulted during auditions; I did background research on the history of the play; and during rehearsals I sometimes worked with actors on some of their parts.  It’s been an incredible learning process, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity.

Sounds like you’re always busy. What do you do in your free time? How do you unwind?
I love naps… but I almost never have time for them! When I do manage to have free time, I’m either working out at the gym, hanging out with friends and my sorority, or sitting down at my computer with my best friend to catch up on episodes of our favorite television shows that we missed during the week (i.e. Modern Family, Glee, 30 Rock, The Office, Jersey Shore).  Yoga is also something I’ve picked up to help me relax.

Do you have any advice for younger students?
Streak the lawn your first year. Take it easy your second year.  Work your butt off third year. Do everything you wanted to do your fourth year. Find Belair Market; it will change your life. Support your basketball team. Drink lots of kool-aid.  Never take college or life too seriously. Don’t waste your time doing anything that you don’t enjoy.  Yes, I stay really busy, but I love everything that I’m involved in. It took me three years but after taking a class in almost every department the college had to offer, I finally found Drama, and I love it.  It makes me sad when I see people walking around complaining about things they have to do, and that’s not the way to spend your four years at college.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.