women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Anti-Racist Reading/Watch List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The white privilege infographic you posted on your Instagram story isn’t cutting it. Want to be a better ally? Here’s a (in no way comprehensive) list of resources to educate yourself on anti-racism and Blackness. This compilation draws from multiple resource lists from activists like Layla F. Saad (@laylafsaad) and Rachel E. Cargle (@rachel.cargle), and social media accounts @parade, @changingwomxn, @dehyedration, @mpd_150, and @rosiegguks. They put in the real work of finding these resources, I’ve just compiled them for our Her Campus readers. Share what you’re reading with us @hercampusatuva on Instagram and Twitter!

Books

I encourage you to buy these books from Black-owned bookstores, such as the stores linked below: Mahogany Books, The Lit. Bar: Bookstore & Chill, Harriett’s Bookshop, or Semicolon Bookstore & Gallery. If you don’t want to buy the books, many of these are available through public libraries or can be found in PDF versions online. 

Are Prisons Obsolete?” by Angela Davis

Free Cyntoia: My Search for Redemption in the American Prison System” by Cyntoia Brown-Long

The New Jim Crow” by Michelle Alexander

The First Civil Right” by Naomi Murakawa

Invisible No More: Police Violence Against Black Women and Women of Color” by Andrea J. Ritchie

Just Mercy” by Bryan Stevenson

The Color of Law” by Richard Rothstein

On Intersectionality” by Kimberle Crenshaw

Women, Race, and Class” by Angela Davis

Assata: An Autobiography” by Assata Shakur

Sister Outsider” by Audre Lorde

Ain’t I A Woman” by bell hooks

Hood Feminism” by Mikki Kendall

A Black Women’s History of the United States” by Daina Ramey Berry and Kali Nicole Gross

White Fragility” by Robin Diangelo

Citizen” by Claudia Rankine

Blindspot” by Banaji Mahzarin and Anthony Greenwald

Killing the Black Body” by Dorothy Roberts

Racial Formation in the United States” by Omi and Winant

Me and White Supremacy” by Layla F. Saad

They Were Her Property” by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers

The Address Book” by Deirdre Mask

White Negros” by Lauren Michele Jackson

Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates

A People’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn

The End of Policing” by Alex Vitale

Abolition Now! 10 Years of Strategy Against the Prison Industrial Complex,” anthology

Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America” by Kristian Williams

Articles

75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice” by Corinne Shutack (super helpful)

The 1619 Project” by Nikole Hanna-Jones

The Case for Reparations” by Ta-Nehisi Coates

When the Media Treats White Suspects and Killers Better Than Black Victims” by Nick Wing

Photos Reveal Media’s Softer Tone of Opioid Crisis” by Michael Shaw

Why You Need to Stop Saying ‘All Lives Matter’” by Rachel E. Cargle

A Social Syllabus Series” by Rachel E. Cargle

When Feminism is White Supremacy in Heels” by Rachel E. Cargle

How to Talk to Your Family About Racism on Thanksgiving” by Rachel E. Cargle

20+ Allyship Actions for Asians to Show Up for the Black Community Right Now” by Michelle Kim

“Beyond the Hashtag: How to Take Anti-Racist Action in Your Life” by Zyahna Bryant

Videos/Films​

Neil Degrasse Tyson on being Black, and Women in Science

The First Time I Realized I Was Black” video series from CNN

4 Black Lives Matter Myths Debunked | Decoded | MTV News featuring Franchesca Ramsey

Unpacking White Feminism” live lecture by Rachel E. Cargle

Coming to Terms With Racism’s Inertia: Ancestral Accountability | Rachel Cargle | TEDxBend

How Race and Gender Intersect in the Women’s Movement” with Simone Boyce and Rachel E. Cargle

13th by Ava DuVernay

When They See Us by Ava DuVernay

Other Resources

Racial Justice Research Document by Rachel E. Cargle (pdf)

Ally Henny’s guide to de-colonizing your bookshelf

Community POC Reading Recommendations, curated by Rachel E. Cargle

“Algorithms of Oppression” book club and study group by Mandy Harris Williams, Free Black Women’s Library, and Women’s Center for Creative Work

“Enough is Enough,” a 150-year performance review of the Minneapolis Police Department, by MPD150 (pdf, audiobook)

“On Community Policing: Whose Community?” by MPD150 (pdf)

Black History Month Library, compiled by Charles Preston (huge database of free PDFs!)

ANTIRACIST ALLYSHIP STARTER PACK compiled by Tatum Dorrell, Matthew Herndon, and Jourdan Dorrell (SO MANY GOOD RESOURCES HERE!)

Anti-Racism Resources for White People from @dehyedration

Resources to Help Black People/Communities from @dehyedration

Master List of Resources from @dehyedration

BLM Master Thread, compiled by @rosiegguks

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!