Andrew Noh ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Andrew Noh
Year: 4th Year
Major: Systems Engineering

When did you first realize that you had a passion for being behind the lens?
Interestingly it was only last semester when I first realized I had an interest for photography. It’s something where I accidentally stumbled upon it and knew I really wanted to continue it.

What is your favorite type of event to photograph?
Sports photography is my favorite because no shot is the same shot, so you have to be prepared for that perfect shot. In addition to sorority events, which are fun to shoot.

Do you see yourself continuing a career in photography?
I highly doubt it. Hopefully with a Systems Engineering degree, I will most likely pursue a career path in that field. However, I still plan to continue photography as a hobby.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In 10 years, I see myself (hopefully) with an awesome job, married and still taking pictures for friends who are getting married.

What is your proudest moment?
My proudest moment was when I got my first photography gig for a sorority formal. I really appreciate this particular sorority for taking a risk and believing in me to take pictures for such an important event.

What is your most embarrassing moment?
You know to be honest, so far, I have not had an embarrassing moment as a photographer (knock on wood).

What would you say to someone who didn’t know if it was worth it to take a risk a pursue their passion?
The biggest risk is to take no risk. So I would say that if you’re passionate about something, take a leap of faith and try it out. You never know where it will take you!

If you could be amazing at something other than photography, what would it be?
It would be to become fluent in several languages so that when I visit different countries, I would be able to speak with the people who live there to find out more about their country and culture.

Who is your biggest motivation?
My biggest source of motivation as a student photographer is definitely all my friends at UVA. Whenever, I upload a new album, all the comments, likes, tags, shares, profile and cover photo changes really keepme motivated to keep taking better pictures.

Any advice for someone who would want to follow in your footsteps?
It would be to smile, regardless of how easy or hard the task is.  It makes the people around you happy, therefore, making the situation a lot better.