This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Even though I’m a 4th year, I just recently began frequenting 1515 as a study space. I wanted a reprieve from the often serious ambiance of Clemons and Clark and 1515 became my new escape from the busyness of the libraries. Don’t get me wrong however, 1515 is plenty busy, it’s not uncommon to walk in and realize the various upstairs rooms are occupied to capacity but checking it out is worth a shot anyway. I suggest going on days less likely to be busy like Monday mornings, or Friday evenings. Or if you are a natural early bird, make sure to get there earlier to snag a comfy study space.

In my studying at 1515, I’ve recently discovered the wonder of the window seat. You know, the iconic 1515 study spot, the one you can see just walking past 1515. The one that makes non- UVA affiliated passerby want to look in and say, “what is going on in there.” Anyway, I love the window seat. From its navy blue spotted mattress to the iconic purple overstuffed pillows, to the wide view of the outside. Sinking into that mattress and laying your head down on the oversized purple pillow feels like receiving a hug. It’s therefore not surprising that this spot is very popular, and I often walk into 1515 to see the spot is already occupied. Unfortunately, its left side counterpart was temporarily closed, making the right facing window seat all the rarer and more coveted.

When I do manage to secure this seat, I like to stretch out on the mattress and curl up with a book or computer while cradling my matcha latte. Now that it’s fall, I like to occasionally look up from my work and look out of the window where I have a perfect view of all the orange and red leaves falling to the ground in the late afternoon breeze. Sometimes when I need a break from my work, I leave the comfort of the window seat to take a walk outside either to Bodos for an emergency bagel, or to Heartwood Books for my newest read. 

I feel that the window seats strike a delicate balance I’ve rarely achieved in other study spaces. If I try to study on my bed at home, I’m setting myself up for a nap. However, the 1515 window seat mattress is just stiff enough to remind you to work on your latest midterm paper instead of sinking into the blissful peace of sleep. I’m also looking forward to the colder days of winter with hot chocolate in hand, sinking into the comfort of the 1515 window seat as I watch the snow flurries floating delicately to the ground. However, I’m saddened by the fact that I had not discovered my love for this study spot sooner as I will be graduating next semester. I’m hopeful however, that in my next life adventure I will find a spot that brings me the comfort and joy that the 1515 window seat does. Till then, I will enjoy the small pleasure of this comforting study space.

Yssis Cano-Santiago is a 4th year student at the University of Virginia where she is a double major in Foreign Affairs and Global Public Health. While writing is her greatest passion, she also enjoys reading, traveling, learning new languages, and cooking. One of her major life goals is to one day hug an otter.