Adult-Proofing Your Facebook Page: How to Protect Your Reputation Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Here’s the scenario: you’re applying for a summer job, checking Facebook every 15 minutes to avoid finishing your applications. Suddenly, you think, “Are my future employers going to see my Facebook profile?” Maybe, but don’t freak out.

For the most part, as long as you don’t have inappropriate wall posts or pictures from when you were really, really crazy at last week’s frat party (not that that would ever happen…), you should be fine. Still, it’s better if employers don’t look at your Facebook, because you want them to judge you based on your application, not your online profile. Regardless of what employers will say, people always make a judgment based on an online profile, that’s why they’re looking at it. That certainly does not mean they’ll make a negative judgment, but no matter what, they are thinking something.

Who can see your profile?
Start by looking under Account Settings and clicking Privacy Settings. You’ll see a chart with all of the general categories of Facebook content and who can see them. If anything is under “Everyone” or “Friends of Friends,” pay attention to it. Remember, it only takes one mutual friend to see anything in the “Friends of Friends” category, so don’t overlook it!

Make it private.
Do you have any information you don’t want potential employers to see? Let’s say your Religious and Political Views are visible to “Everyone” and you want to change it to “Friends.” Click on the “Customize Settings” button, directly under the content column. From there, you can change anything on Facebook from Everyone to Friends, using the drop-down menu next to each category. If there’s something you don’t want anyone to see, like the pictures tagged of you, click on the drop-down menu and select “Customize.” When the smaller screen pops up, you can choose “Only Me.” If this all sounds a bit too complicated for you, you can always select Facebook’s “Friends Only” pre-designed privacy setting, which keeps your info within your personal network.

Un-Google Yourself
Even if they don’t search you on Facebook, employers will probably Google you. It’s better for that news article from when you placed third at state last year to come up first. If you want to make sure your Facebook profile doesn’t come up on a Google search of your name, just go to Privacy settings again and click “Edit Settings” under “Apps and Websites” in the bottom left corner. At the bottom of the list, you can change your preferences for “Public search” by editing your settings and unchecking the box that allows Facebook to send your information to search engines.

Friend Your Mom
No, really – friend your mom. Remember that old rule of thumb, “Don’t do anything you wouldn’t want your mom to see”? Here’s a list of things you may not want your mom to see: your “It’s Complicated” relationship status, that Facebook status post about your sex life, or your pictures from that craaazy party with the octo-beer-bong. Chances are, you don’t want your mom to see any of those things, and you don’t want your dad, boss, or 40-year-old half-sister to see them either. If you know your mom is going to read everything you post on Facebook (and let’s face it, you’ll probably be all over her news feed since she only has 50 friends), you’re a lot less likely to post content that you know is inappropriate.

In general, try to remember that what you put on the internet is permanent. With all the technology today, there is always going to be a saved past version of something you put on the web, even if you delete it. Use your Facebook as a fun distraction without posting every detail of your life, and you’ll be golden.

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.