This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In the past, indie music has been headlined by predominantly male artists such as Tame Impala, Mac DeMarco, Sufjan Stevens, Arctic Monkeys, and more. While these men have produced and continue to produce incredible music, it is vitally important to include female artists in the ongoing narrative of indie music, as their stories provide rich emotional depth and diversity of sound. Here are five talented women artists to spice up your music library.

NOTE: Due to the widespread popularity of indie songstresses such as Clairo, Phoebe Bridgers, Fiona Apple, and Mitski, I will be omitting them from this article in order to shine a spotlight on lesser-known artists.

faye webster

Faye Webster has successfully discovered the formula for infusing country with indie. Her consistent use of steel guitar and sultry voice lend a Southern flair to her music, both deepening its emotional depth and widening its appeal. While Webster has been releasing music for nearly ten years, her recent albums Atlanta Millionaires Club and I Know I’m Funny haha have brought her acclaim and recognition within the indie music community and have effectively defined her sound as unique, woeful, and deeply personal.

Recommended tracks: “Better Distractions,” “Kingston,” “Right Side of My Neck,” “A Dream With a Baseball Player”

arlo parks

Arlo Parks’s warm, down-to-earth personality corresponds perfectly with her soft voice and ambient music. The British singer-songwriter specializes in R&B music with an indie flair, and she and her band perform as the opening act for Clairo’s current tour. As someone who witnessed her artistry firsthand during Clairo’s show at The National in Richmond, Virginia, her light both as a human being and musician constantly shine through as she performs and creates music. Parks is the perfect union of a captivating on-stage presence, inclusive, welcoming public persona, and powerhouse of musical talent, and I look for her to become an indie superstar in the coming years.

Recommended tracks: “Softly,” “Too Good,” “Super Sad Generation,” “Eugene”

indigo de souza

While Indigo de Souza is a talented guitarist and songwriter, her punk-influenced, powerful voice is perhaps her greatest strength as an artist. De Souza goes from lilting high notes to wailing to even screaming in her music, encapsulating the wide range of human emotion along the way. As someone who was relatively unfamiliar with her music prior to Lucy Dacus’s show at The Jefferson Theater, I was absolutely blown away by her musical prowess, soulful voice, and emotionally-charged lyricism. De Souza’s music is perfect for admirers of emo and punk who are searching for a more doleful, frustrated side of indie music.

Recommended tracks: “Take Off Ur Pants,” “What Are We Gonna Do Now,” “Kill Me,” “Sick in the Head”

alice phoebe lou

I first encountered Alice Phoebe Lou’s music as I was making a Halloween playlist. I clicked on her aptly-titled song “Witches” and was pleasantly shocked by her vocal range and dreamy sound. Upon further inspection of her musical catalogue, listeners can find jazz, shoegaze, and soul influences in her music, which is distinct for its ethereal sound and general relaxing quality. Though it may be reductive to label Lou’s music as a sort of nouveau-dream-pop, it effectively carries the torch lit by artists such as Slowdive, Mazzy Star, and Cocteau Twins while adding a modern twist.

Recommended tracks: “Lovesick,” “Witches,” “Nostalgia,” “If You Were Here”

weyes blood

Natalie Mering, professionally known as Weyes Blood, is perhaps the most experienced and storied artist on this list. Active since the early 2000s, Weyes Blood croons with a voice reminiscent of classic rock and folk goddesses such as Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Mama Cass, and Judy Collins. Her musical composition also evokes retro influences with its use of synthesizers and steel guitars, transporting the listener back to a bygone (but oft-missed) era in musical history. However, it is important not to write off Weyes Blood as a replication of an older sound. She combines her influences with a style distinct to her, and listeners can find a great deal of nuance and variety among her musical repertoire.

Recommended tracks: “Andromeda,” “A Lot’s Gonna Change,” “Maybe Love,” “Suddenly”

Hi! My name is Jaden, and I'm a first-year English major from Franklin County, VA. I love all things pop culture, but I'm currently obsessed with Euphoria, Wes Anderson movies, and Sally Rooney books. I also LOVE Phoebe Bridgers and Hozier! Aside from writing, I love to spend time with my friends, sing, and play my guitar. Wahoowa!