5 Ways to Upgrade Your Ramen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

College is hard. Making food that doesn’t taste like cardboard is harder. Doing both at the same time is near impossible! It’s definitely not a crime to have good taste in food…

…but it’s hard to do when you’re on a measly college budget!

We all get sick of the stereotypical college ramen night, but now you can enjoy lavish Ramen entrées and a full wallet (or at least as full as it can be at the moment)! 

1. Cheesy Ramen Noodles

Newsflash: Mac & Cheese is most definitely not just for children’s menus, as evidenced by the massive amounts of Easy Mac stored in your cupboard (don’t even bother denying it). But now it’s time to upgrade your go-to meal with a little culinary flare and, of course, some ramen!

Start by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil in the microwave (or a saucepan if you’re really fancy). Add the ramen noodles and cook until tender (around 2 minutes).  Drain any remaining water from the pasta. Then, add whatever cheese you have on hand. Whether it’s American cheese, Parmesan crumbles, shredded cheese, or even the powdered cheese from your extensive supply of Easy Mac, this cheesy creation is sure to delight! You can even get creative by adding in some sliced hot dogs or sausage!

2. Italian Flare Ramen

Who says you have to go to Florence to get a high-quality Italian meal? Italians, that’s who. And they’re probably right, but that shouldn’t stop you from creating this cheap and tasty spaghetti-esque dish with your package of ramen.

Start by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil in the microwave. Add the ramen noodle packet and cook for 2 minutes over heat or until tender. Drain any remaining water from the pasta. Add red sauce (Ragu, Prego, or whatever your fancy) and season with fresh parsley if you have it. Add in some meatballs and garlic powder if you want to add some more flavor or if you’re trying to impress someone (results may vary).

3. Mediterranean Ramen Noodles

This meal is both impressive and simple. Who are we really kidding though? This is a list of recipes to make with ramen. All of them are impressive and simple. This one is especially delicious though. All you need is a packet of ramen, some grape tomatoes, and some cheese (mozzarella is preferred; bonus points for mini mozzarella balls). If you have someone special coming over for dinner and Netflix, you might want to spring for some fresh basil too. Nothing is more attractive than some nice fresh basil (probably not 100% true, but here’s to hoping).

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in the microwave (or saucepan). Add ramen noodle packet and cook over heat for 2 minutes or until tender. Drain any remaining water from the noodles. Cook some grape tomatoes in a saucepan with a little bit of olive oil. Take them off when they’re a little bit mushy but still intact. Dump the contents of the pan on top of your noodles (oil included). Add your mozzarella balls and some fresh-cut basil and serve.

4. Chinese Fusion Egg-Fried Ramen

This meal is perfect for when you’re craving Chinese food but don’t feel like moving from your dorm/apartment or going through the immense effort of picking up the phone and ordering it for delivery (we’ve all been there). All you need is an egg or two, some frozen peas, and whatever meat you want to add in (if you want).

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add in your ramen and cook until tender. Drain excess water and set cooked noodles aside. Scramble the eggs and cook until they are 75% cooked. Now, add in the frozen peas and the chicken. Cook until done and mix into your ramen noodles. Now all you need is homemade fortune cookies! Enjoy!

5. Beef or Chicken Stir-Fry

This is an excellent meal to showcase your cooking abilities to all your friends. All you need is meat of your choice, peas in the pod, and some soy sauce.

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add in your ramen and cook until tender. Drain excess water and toss noodles lightly in soy sauce. Now, cook your peas and beef in a saucepan. When cooked, add to the noodles and serve hot. Delicious!

It’s true; anyone can cook!

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!