This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Lovely friends, now that the weather has started to take a colder turn, it is time to consult the long-forgotten “Want to Read” book list made around New Year’s. One of my favorite ways to pass time is through reading a good novel. An excellent piece of literature does not have to particularly informative, deep, or revelatory. Sometimes, the best books for the moment are the trashiest and morally questionable. Lacking a list? Fear not. I have carefully curated a brief list of books that include a wide variety of genres, characters, and drama. 

Dune, by Frank Herbert

Dune belongs to an older subsection of American science fiction. Written in the 20th century, Dune is an epic saga that follows the Atreides family through their adventures on the desert planet Arrakis. There are spaceships, space lasers, aliens, and a bit of the supernatural sprinkled throughout the novel. A clash between Game of Thrones and Red Rising, this novel is a classic that sparks imagination. 

Image via SyFy

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell 

Perhaps hitting a bit too close to home, Fangirl follows the main protagonist Cath in her first year of college. As suggested by the title, Cath herself as an A-Class fangirl who not only owns countless memorabilia and merchandise of her favorite series but also writes fanfiction as well. Fangirl was one of the smoothest books I’ve read; it’s very easy to read in one sitting. 

Image via Amazon

I’ll Give You The Sun, by Jandy Nelson 

As an older sibling, I enjoyed Jandy Nelson’s portrayal of a brother-sister relationship through the main characters Noah and Jude. There aren’t any aliens in this book, nor supernatural forces, but the seemingly mundane events that take place are filled to the brim with raw emotion. There are so many intersecting storylines, that every page is enjoyable and exciting. 

Image via Amazon

Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty

Readers might know this one through Reese Witherspoon’s HBO miniseries. Big Little Lies is a classic who-dun-it mystery novel that first introduces the existence of a crime and then backtracks to show readers the lead-up before finally revealing the culprit. One of my favorite things about Liane Moriarty’s writing is her unique and playful dialogue. The dialogue is so fast, so funny, and so quirky that you can almost imagine the characters sitting next to you. 

Image via Amazon

I am a second year student at UVA. I love books, black tea, and bananas.