3 Easy Ways to Get into the Spooky Season Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I don’t know about you but I’m not really the type to throw huge Halloween parties or spend all day picking pumpkins-but I still want to get into the fall and Halloween spirit. Recently I’ve really learned to appreciate all the little ways you can get into the spooky season spirit; if you want to embrace the Halloween and fall spirit too maybe give these tips a try. 

1. Have a Spooky Movie Night 

I must admit I’m not really the biggest horror movie fan but I love a classic, lighthearted Halloween film or a suspenseful thriller that won’t actively give me nightmares. My favorite classic Halloween movies are The Addams Family (1991), Hocus Pocus (1993), and The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) just to name a few. I also think this is a good time of the year to catch up on any thrillers or sci-fi films you’ve been meaning to watch even if they aren’t specifically related to Halloween. In the fall I love to watch Knives Out (2019),  Arrival (2016), and Everything Everywhere all at Once (2022) when I want a movie that keeps me on the edge of my seat but that lets me sleep at night.  

1. Make a Fall-inspired Treat 

This can be something as simple as pre-made Pillsbury cookie dough or more elaborate Pinterest recipes you find online. No matter how complicated or simple the recipe, when the weather cools down I always want to try something new in the kitchen that involves sugar and a warm oven. If you’re not as much of a sugar addict as I am you could try a new coffee recipe or whatever your form of comfort food might be to get you into the cozy season spirit. 

1. Refresh your Fall Wardrobe  

Sometimes I find that as a new season starts I forget what I have from past years and I really think I just have nothing to wear at all. At the start of fall I try to remind myself of all the clothes I’ve neglected over the warmer months and see if there are any gaps I need to fill in. Sometimes adding just 1 or 2 new pieces at the start of the season that mix well with what you already have can get you excited about the new season without having to replace your entire closet. 

Hey I'm Erin, a third year at UVA who can be found under a pile of books hiding from my responsibilities or asking my friends to watch old movies with me so we can debate over whether they have truly aged well or not.