This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

With the last day of classes approaching, the stress of finals might feel overwhelming. Just remember that you have some warm, sunny days on the beach to relax and read with your toes in the sand. Here are some book recommendations that are the perfect summer read on the beach or inside in the cool air conditioning.

The Shadows between us

I read this book by Tricia Levenseller last summer in a book club and it had just the perfect amount of suspense to draw you in. This Young Adult fantasy tells the story of Alessandra a girl sent to court to marry the Shadow King and kill him for his throne shortly after killing her first love. As her plan unfolds, secrets from both their pasts come back to haunt them leaving Alessandra conflicted about her original plan. This book is a quick read and you won’t want to put it down. This makes for a great read under the sun that can be finished on the same beach trip that you start it.

ALl the light we cannot see

This book by Anthony Doerr is my all time favorite book and I will never shy away from reading it again. It is a literary masterpiece that everyone should read in their lifetime. This fictional story is set during World War II and it focuses on two main viewpoints of Marie-Laure a blind French girl and Werner Pfennig a young German boy. The book tells the story of Marie-Laure’s escape from France and the beautiful way that their stories intertwine. This book will make you take a step back and appreciate the value of life and the brief yet beautiful connections that we make with others.

Empire of Pain

This nonfiction book by Patrick Radden Keefe tells the story of the Sackler brothers who built their wealth off of pharmaceuticals such as Oxycontin and Valium. It dives into the court case against Purdue Pharma and their misleading marketing campaigns as well. This book gives a lot of depth and detail and it is extremely relevant to the current opioid epidemic in America. If you aren’t a fan of nonfiction, don’t worry because this book weaves a story that will have you hooked from the first chapter. It is a very eye-opening book that is a great read but also very educational. I warn you though, this book will have you angry and shocked at not only the Sackler family but also the Federal government.

Gabriella is a third-year majoring in History and Archaeology with a Spanish minor. She hopes to attend law school in the future and is passionate about repatriation, restorative justice, and sexual respect. She currently serves as the HerCampusatUVA's Campus Correspondent/Vice President! In Gabriella's free time, she enjoys reading fantasy books, working out, traveling, and finding new music to listen to! Around grounds, she is also involved with her sorority and CORE (Culture of Respect Educators)!