10 Songs for a Late Afternoon in February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It’s been a long day. Lots of class and not enough naps. Before I can tackle my mountain of reading that constantly awaits, I like to wind down on my couch with a hot cup of coffee and some music. Here are 10 songs I like to warm up to on a cold, windy winter day in Charlottesville.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – Home
Up From Below
With its whistling intro and overall tone of cowboy-saved-the-town-AND-his-girl, this song jump-starts my afternoon of couch-sitting like nothing else. I’ll be honest with you, I tend not to sing along with songs (that just isn’t me), but you can bet your bottom dollar this one gets me every time. Jade Castrinos’ pleasantly raspy vocals and Alex Ebert’s low-key, almost- speaking voice make up the core of the song, weaving a tale of love and happiness. You can hear the smiles in their voices, and when the rest of the chorus starts in with “Home…” you can’t help but chime in with “…is whenever I’m with you.” The effect is pure glee, and by the end, I’m shouting.

Iron and Wine – Naked As We Came

Our Endless Numbered Days
Classic. Sam Beam’s lullaby voice paired with his picking make for an easy listen that really calms down my shouting nerves. I’m lulled into an almost-slumber. Lucky for me, this song’s short and sweet.

Koop – Waltz for Koop
Waltz for Koop
Koop has a way of making me feel like I’m rolling around on the white sand of an island beach in a wide-brimmed hat, wind chill: 77. Please and thank you, it’s freezing outside.

Grizzly Bear – Two Weeks
Veckatimest
Fantastic harmonies. A modern barbershop quartet!

Discovery – Slang Tang

LP
The side project of Rostam Batmanglij of Vampire Weekend and Wes Miles of Ra Ra Riot, Discovery released this LP in 2009, and I have yet to move on from it. It has changed my life. “Slang Tang” is my pick of the 10 songs they put out, but “Osaka Loop Line” is a close second which I also recommend. Both are heavily synthesized, and some might say a bit noisy, but if you’re anything like me, that’s all good news. The thing is it works; there’s so much going on, but it fits together perfectly. Also, it’s so dense that it blocks out a lot of other noise making it perfect for chillin’.

British Sea Power – Waving Flags
Do You Like Rock Music?
MORE SHOUTING

Minus the Bear – Ice Monster
Planet of Ice
I like twinkly music. I also like singers who shout here and there (What? No way!). This combines both. I love it.

Sia – Butterflies
Colour The Small One
Sia’s little kid, angel voice mixed with super-catchy guitar, piano, accordion, marimba bits and other instruments I’ve yet to discern equal

Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP – We No Speak Americano
We No Speak Americano
What more can I say? This song can only be described as “just plain fun.”

Yo La Tengo – When It’s Dark
I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
I bought this album in sophomore year of high school, and the whole tracklist is pretty whimsical. I chose this song to close out the top 10 because after listening to music all afternoon, the sun is probably setting (what up, winter), and this song definitely has that feeling of “the sun is barely shining on the horizon, and I have to go inside soon because I’m 9 years old.” It makes me nostalgic for childhood, and though I feel silly saying that, I have to remember that I’m 21 and technically not a child regardless of the fact that I often feel 9. So, in real-life adult fashion, I need to get off iTunes and start my work. 

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.