Here’s Why You Need to Watch “The L Word: Generation Q”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

The L Word: Generation Q is a new series on Showtime featuring the women on the original show the L Word along with the company of some new faces. This spin-off series aired on Showtime in 2019 and went on to air its second season in 2021. It stars some familiar faces such as Jennifer Beals, Leisha Hailey, and Katherine Moennig, while introducing new characters played by Arienne Mandi, Sepideh Moafi, Rosanny Zayas, and a lot more. On top of that, the show features special guest stars like Laurel Holloman and Rosie O’Donnell. 

There are a few reasons why you should watch The L Word: Generation Q. For starters, the storylines in this series are captivating and heartfelt with many twists and turns that’ll keep you at the edge of your seat. The show pays careful attention to each character’s storyline. Each storyline represents a character’s personal struggle while connecting it to the group of friends as a whole. 

Another aspect of this show is the representation. The show is primarily centered around lesbians and does a great job at adding more representation from the LGBTQIA+ community through featuring transgender, questioning, and bisexual characters. The representation of each sexual orientation/gender expression is showcased in such a real way. It is not shoved down the audience’s throat, rather it encapsulates the lives and issues people face in real life in regards to their sexual orientation and gender expression. It does so seamlessly, allowing the show to be relatable. It shows the interconnected relationships between coming into your identity and being okay with changing as time goes on. 

The L Word: Generation Q is a special show in its content, because outside of the original The L Word, there is no other show that represents lesbians in the way that this show does. This spinoff is a breath of fresh air in a familiar and comforting way. Even if you have not seen the original, The L Word: Generation Q is definitely worth the watch. It is the perfect show to binge-watch in one weekend, and both seasons are available on Hulu for streaming anytime. 

Hello! My name is Vanessa Moya and I am a communications major! I love to write, explore, and be creative in multiple mediums. My main goal is to spread love and acceptance anywhere that I go and in all things I do.