This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know the Met Gala just happened. If you didn’t know, the Met Gala is a yearly event where we get to see some amazing and interesting outfits from the elite of the country. This years theme, In America: A Lexicon of Fashion, proved difficult for many to produce a show stopping outfit. However, there was one woman who definitely understood the assignment!

Some may argue, and they can, but there was one outfit that stole the show. No, I’m not talking about Horse Girl, which was, for a lack of a better term, an interesting choice. I’m talking about the one, the only, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

People did criticize her for attending an event where the top 1% of America was in attendance. But she combatted thier judgement by wearing this ICONIC “Tax the Rich” dress by Brooklyn-based designer, Aurora James, founder of the label Brother Vellies. (To learn more about Aurora James, you can read this article by Courtney Vinopal with Quartz: Who designed AOC’s “tax the rich” Met Gala Dress?) All the criticism aside, AOC turned heads, and started a conversation. Which was the whole point.

So haters gonna hate, and if I had one thing to say to AOC, it would be: keep turning heads and challenging the boundaries of society.

I'm Megan, I'm a Sophomore at UTSA studying Biology and a USAF veteran. Some of my interests include Netflix, fitness, traveling with my husband and kids, and volunteering. When I'm not focused on school I'm spending time with my husband, 3 boys, and our dogs. Follow me on instagram @shutup_mmmeggg