This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Studying for a degree in science is not the easiest thing to do. It’s also not the hardest in the world, but it’s always nice to know some helpful tips on how to succeed in any type of science. I’ve been through enough science courses to know most of the ins and outs of studying, from Organic Chemistry to Genetics to Geology. These four tips can also pertain to those in other majors, but this is just my experience with some infamously challenging courses with very high drop, withdrawal, and failure rates. 

Talk to your professors.

Talking to your professor via email or through Zoom when you are confused is one of the most beneficial things you can do. The professors are there to help you and want to see their students do well in their class, especially knowing it’s a reflection of their work as well.

Log into class.

I know going to class is a hassle, even when it’s online, and can be hard to do for morning classes, but even just being present and catching a few concepts throughout the lecture will still be super beneficial.

Do the practice problems.

Doing the practice problems at the end of each chapter is usually super helpful when studying for the exams, even if they are not taken for a grade. In all Chemistry and Physics courses, it’s essential to do these problems in order to do well on the exams and quizzes. So practice, practice, practice.

Look online for resources.

If worst comes to worst and you really don’t know what’s going on in class, look up videos online on the topic you are struggling with. There are tons of videos on every subject imaginable that are very helpful. Lots of professors around the world upload their lectures for the public to view, so the majority of the content you find will be reliable; just make sure the sites are credible

Lastly, always make sure to give yourselves a well-deserved break after studying!

Howdy! I'm Cassie and currently a senior studying Environmental Science getting little sleep throughout the semester. I love spending time with my dog, taking naps when I have time, and hiking the beautiful outdoors:)