This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

We are all spending more time in our homes than ever before. Our living spaces have now become our offices, yoga studios, bakeries, and movie theaters. Spending more time at home has also propelled many to adopt deeper cleaning routines, or even go through old belongings and donate unused items. Diving into this cleaning spree made me question something—how can I clean my air?

To purify my air as much as possible, and to bring life to my living spaces, I decided to buy some air cleaning plants. Below is a list of plants that offer the same air-quality-boosting benefits. Pick one of these that fit your aesthetic, and reward yourself with a breath of fresh air…literally!

Peace Lily

• Removes chemicals such as benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and carbon monoxide

• Low maintenance, and can thrive in rooms without a window (fluorescent light)

• Absorbs moisture in the air to prevent mildew and mold

• TOXIC if ingested

Spider Plant

• Removes xylene and formaldehyde

• Low maintenance and grows quickly

• Safe for children and animals

Chrysanthemums

• Removes formaldehyde, benzene, ammonia, and xylene

• Blooms beautiful flowers

• TOXIC to dogs and cats if ingested

Rubber Plant

• Removes carbon monoxide, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde

• Roots and trunk grow in peculiar shapes

• TOXIC to dogs and cats if ingested

I am an undergraduate Psychology major minoring in Philosophy. I will be graduating in December 2020, and starting my Master's degree in the spring 2021 semester studying Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I am an avid lover of the outdoors, coffee, and deep conversations!