An Open Letter to UTSA Student Drivers – Volume I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

In Volume I of this series we at Her Campus UTSA like to call the “open letter” to drivers at UTSA, we will discuss non other than parking.  

The parking at UTSA seems to be everyone’s chosen complaint; it’s almost something we can all unite over – like how every student understands the struggle of Air Rowdy Wi-Fi. Parking is, needless to say, a disaster at UTSA. We don’t hold this against the school, however. Our university has grown at a rate parking spots just could not keep up with in the past ten years. For every twenty pick-up trucks with ridiculously jacked-up wheels, there is one coveted parking space you would trade your last cup of ramen noodles for. Unless you can dish out the $800+ it costs to obtain a garage parking pass, you are stuck among the masses that do their makeup and eat their breakfast burrito in a rush on the way to school only to search endlessly for a parking spot even though their class began a half hour ago. Basically, parking is a b****.

Although parking can prove to be the most difficult endeavor you face on a daily basis, here are some common courtesy things we suggest you do to make your day, and potentially someone else’s day, a little better.

1. When in a parking garage searching for a spot, do not hold up the eight cars behind you to wait for someone to get in their car, check their notifications, pick their favorite song, call their mom, and adjust the AC multiple times so you can take their spot. Keep driving until you reach a floor with free spaces. I promise they exist. The roof of every parking garage never has parked cars! It’s not a lot to ask for you to walk down an extra flight of stairs.

2. If you’re going to stalk someone on their long walk to their car to steal their spot, at least roll down your window and offer them a ride! Sure it can be totally creepy for a driver to trail behind a pedestrian just to replace their car, but what’s more creepy is if you don’t possess the social skills and manners to at least let them know what your intentions are! Worst-case scenario they don’t take you up on your offer to drive them to their car or they’re not even walking to their car at all.

3. We get it. You’re going to miss Chik-Fil-A breakfast hours at the JPL unless you park right now, but that does not mean you need to run every stop sign as you navigate the parking lot in front of the convo. Just take a chill pill and a spot will become available. A fender bender or hitting a pedestrian is not worth your chicken sandwich.

4. Consider the shuttle! If you find yourself in the same endless cycle of driving ‘round in circles to find a spot, save yourself the time and trouble and park in the lots with shuttle bus service. This will definitely be your best bet if you have mid-day classes and the traffic in the parking lots closer to campus resembles the traffic on 1604. The shuttles are timely and newly renovated. It takes less than ten minutes to get from the furthest lot to the bus station in front of the North Paseo building. This is also great on the hotter or colder days because you won’t have to brave the weather and walk as far! Don’t be stubborn, just do it and thank me later.

5. My final tip: Be efficient. If you are the one leaving a spot, get in your car and leave as quickly as possible. Avoid the desire to play with the radio station while simultaneously checking your phone and changing into comfier shoes. Someone needs your spot and making them wait any longer than necessary just isn’t courteous.

Although the future of parking at UTSA isn’t as bright as the future of the university itself, if you follow these general common courtesy tips it will make your life a little easier behind the wheel. If you have any questions about parking check out the UTSA Business Auxiliary Services website. Happy parking, ‘Runners! 

I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞