Style > Beauty

Ileana Gonzalez – Beauty and Brains

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Ileana Gonzalez is many things but average is not one of them. This driven UTSA junior is one of the most influential female students on campus, not to mention incredibly down-to-Earth and beautiful with a huge heart for this university. Between campaigning for and winning the coveted Ms. UTSA 2014 title (which is anything but a beauty pageant), being Rowdy the Roadrunner’s Wrangler at every football game, and serving as the treasurer of the Student Government Association and VP for Marketing in Business Student Council (beauty and brains), no one would argue she has made an incredible impact at UTSA. However, this upcoming school year she will take on her biggest role yet as the Student Body President – an accomplishment few other women can claim. Read on to learn more!

Her Campus (HC): Why were you inspired to go above and beyond in college? What made you have such high aspirations?

Ileana Gonzalez (IG): “Coming into college I had many encounters with people whom did not have any kind of drive nor motivation. I started realizing how much I was not like them and how I did want to make an impact wherever I was; in this case, UTSA. I have always been motivated to go above and beyond as I am the first child, the adventurer, the risk taker. I started investing in UTSA, and UTSA started investing in me. I started interacting with people that were like me — leaders on campus wanting to leave a legacy. Those people have been my inspiration to reach higher and dream bigger every day.”

HC: Do you feel that taking on so many challenges and the experience you’ve gained in college has prepared you for the real world?

IG: “Most definitely. UTSA has prepared me in so many ways – academically, professionally and even when it comes to real life experiences. College has put me in positions I never expected to be in. They have pushed me to my limits and keep doing so; therefore, I feel extremely prepared to take on the world now. It might not be the same, but I definitely feel like a very well-rounded, educated woman who is willing to get out of her comfort zone.”

HC: What have you learned about yourself?

IG: “Every year in college has been a huge growth I see in myself. UTSA has pushed me so much that I truly know what I am capable of and not even completely yet. The most important things I have learned, and that are very present in my life today is, ‘Everything happens for a reason’ (and) ‘If you can dream it, you can do it.’”

HC: How do you keep yourself accountable to do what’s expected of you?

IG: “I am my own boss, my own motivator and my own spectator. I do what I do because I love it and I am passionate about it. I do not do things to prove anyone anything. I do and achieve goals because I choose to; therefore, accountability is something I am pleased to have.” 

HC: Do you ever feel certain obstacles are more difficult for you to overcome as a Latina, or just a female in general?

IG: “I have definitely had it hard being a Latina. I break people’s stereotypes of how a Latina should act and some people simply don’t like it. They give me a hard time and, of course, there is never missing the typical racist jokes. But just like there are cons, there are also very big pros. I have inspired many people into doing what they believe in (by showing them it) does not matter their race or where they come from, and I absolutely love having done so. Being a female has not been as hard of an obstacle because everybody loves a hard-working, passionate female! However, I do feel like we have to prove ourselves a lot more into why we are ‘the right person for the job’ than men do. It has not stopped me though.”

HC: What is your vision for UTSA in the coming years?

IG: “My vision for UTSA, just like everyone else, would be Tier One but, a different kind of Tier One from what we are used to. I want UTSA to really embrace who we are today. We are a university full of opportunities, diversity and culture, which the Tier One universities in Texas do not have. At UTSA, we can have a Hispanic President, an African-American Mr. UTSA, an Asiatic culture like no one else and a university where international students play a major role. UTSA administration, students and alumni are dreaming big and doing. That’s why I truly believe in UTSA’s platform and what it’s trying to accomplish in a near future.”

HC: Finally, what are your plans for the future?

IG: “One of my main goals, as I started my career at UTSA, was to become Student Body President. It had been my biggest goal, and I can humbly and proudly say that I accomplished it this last month. Becoming the first female to ever be named Ms. UTSA and Student Body President is a complete honor. My short-term goal includes making UTSA a better place for our current and prospective students, to broaden our branding to show the state of Texas what UTSA is made of. I truly believe we are making a difference within our city and even state. After graduating next year, I plan on working for a globally named company in order to understand every level of management. Last summer I visited the Bay Area, CA, and I absolutely just fell in love with entrepreneurial environment. I will attempt acquiring a job that fits my skills and qualifications and, at the same time, challenge me professionally over there. After two or three years working there I will be seeking my masters in management.”

All photos are courtesy of Ileana Gonzalez.

I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞