This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Something I would like everyone to know is that I’m SO glad Valentine’s Day is over!

But don’t take that the wrong way. I’m not one of those cynical singles that’s just salty I’m not in a relationship. I actually think Valentine’s Day is pretty sweet, mostly because it’s a good excuse to eat chocolate, but it also brings back memories of decorating Valentines boxes to put on our desks and see who gave out the cutest (or punniest) cards to everyone in the class back in elementary school.

The thing that makes me dread the day now is how downright bitter so many people are about the day and all the whining people do in the weeks leading up to it. I always manage to see multiple people post on social media, and hear way too many conversations, about how single and alone they are. And then there’s even a few that are in relationships but hate the day because they feel that their significant other shouldn’t only be doing cute and romantic things for them one day out of the year.

I just wish everyone would be more comfortable within themselves. I constantly hear people telling others to get out of their comfort zone and to put themselves out there, but I have found that a lot of these same people are so uncomfortable being by themselves (like even for just an hour).

In life, the person you’ll spend the most time with is yourself. Your relationship with yourself is THE most important relationship you’ll ever have. The way you think of and see yourself always ends up projecting into your other relationships.

When you wake up in the morning, you are with yourself, and when you’re laying in bed at night you are with yourself. So, what kind of person do you want to wake up to in the morning? What kind of person do you want to see at the end of the day before going to bed? Because that person is yourself, and it’s your job to make sure that you’re that person you want to be with.

So take yourself out on a date, eat alone━hell, just spend 30 minutes alone without texting anyone or going on social media. Just be alone. The more you do this, the more you will learn about yourself. You will slowly grow more comfortable in your own skin, you will figure out what interests you, your own beliefs, your own clarity of who you are and what you want, and when you do meet the person who makes your cells dance, you will be sure of it because you are sure of yourself.

This is your life, so you have to know what’s good for you. I know I want to spend my life with a person who’s understanding, who’s not full of hate, judgment, or entitlement. So that’s who I have to be.

Sydney is a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. She's an avid Youtube watcher and Netflix binger. Sydney's a lover of YA fiction, especially dystopian series, and she can often be found around campus, with earphones in, listening to an audiobook. As someone that is forever getting lost in books, she thought it was time to share her own stories and opinions.