Ellen Wallace: Future Nurse and Queen of the JPL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you spend anytime on the fourth floor of the JPL, you have probably seen this Campus Cutie there at all hours of the day and night. After 2 years of all-nighters, Ellen is headed off to nursing school (she got into her top 2 choices- naturally). Learn more about her below: 

Name: Ellen Wallace 

Nickname: ellz and Jpellen 

Hometown: Houston (Clear Lake) 

Major: Nursing 

Student Involvement: Alpha Sigma Alpha, Tour Guide 

Celebrity Crush: Johnny Knoxville & Bam Margera  

What you love the most about UTSA:– The community;How at home it feels! I’m from the suburbs of Houston and I’m glad UTSA isn’t in the heart of the city; I’m comfortable here. Also, everything is so close to the University and it’s like we have our own little college society. My favorite probably has to be the Mexican food. I can’t believe I’ve deprived of this authentic food my whole life. God Bless Tacos. 

What was the coolest thing you learned about UTSA as a tour guide:

I really enjoyed all of the fun facts that spice up the tours. They make us stand out from other universities and the prospective students love them. Here are a couple:– The Paseo and UC was designed to look similar to the San Antonio Riverwalk.– Ricardo Romo was a track stay at UT Austin and was the first student to run a mile in under four minutes. His recorded lasted 41 years and the guy that beat his record went to the Olympics.– If you fall in love with UTSA & you fall in love with someone at UTSA, you can have your wedding in the ballrooms!– If you rub Iron Rowdy during finals he sends you good luck during finals. 

What inspired you to study pre-nursing & to pursue your nursing degree:– Well besidesssss job security…– Things that gross other people out don’t gross me out. I like dissecting things too– The human body is really really interesting. It’s unbelievable how much of a process it is for us to even blink or pick up a pencil. I had a whole test on just that topic. – I CANNOT have a office job; i can’t imagine sitting at a desk all day. That would drive me insane. I want to be walking around, experiencing new things, meeting new people, and always being active!  

What was the best advice you ever received from a professor at UTSA:– “Do not procrastinate.” I may be the Queen of the JPL & all nighters, but it really takes a toll on me when I stay up all night. Strive to get your homework done the day before it’s due. Odds are something better is going to come up the day it is due and you’re going to regret not doing it the day before. You’re JPEllen, and you practically live in the JPL. What study tricks and tips do you have to offer:– All of your class assignments, tests, etc need to be in one central area so nothing sneaks up on you. So, your planner is LIFE! So buy a pretty one; the prettier it is, the more likely you’ll use it TBH.– The fourth floor is a popular place, right? You’ll never see me there unless it’s social time. It’s impossible to focus with everyone up there. If you actually need to study, go somewhere else. You’ll find me in quiet study or on the 4th floor computers actually studying. 

Do you have any regrets about leaving UTSA so soon for nursing school:– YES! It’s a really hard decision. I’m going to miss my friends, job, sisters & greek life, UTSA events, the JPL, basically everything. Luckily I made the most out of it while I attended for two years. Overall I know I’m making the right decision for my career path, but I’m going to miss UTSA. 

Chloe is currently a senior trying to figure out how she's going to be capable of functioning as a real adult in less than a year. When she's not currently dealing with this quarter life crisis you can find her at happy hour, watching movies she knows will make her cry (& forcing her fiance to watch them with her, becaue #love, obsessing over her December wedding, and just generally trying to relive freshman year with her friends because she knows the best years of her life are about to end.