This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

No more school until mid-January! 

As the semester came to an end in December, I bet you were thinking of all the things you could do during the month-long break, like me. But just as the break rolled around, I suddenly realized that everything I promised myself I was going to do didn’t happen. What really happened was my screen time skyrocketed, and I refused to get out of bed. Honestly, I wished I was at campus sometimes just so I could be a little more busy or productive again, not that I don’t appreciate this break. I just found myself being really bored, and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. That’s why I took the time to make this short list of activities you can occupy yourself with and hopefully feel a lot more productive!

Without Further Ado…

1. Clear the Clutter

We all have at least one messy closet, desk, or drawer that is in dire need of organization. As boring as it may sound to clean up and organize these places, it’s actually fun. For me, it’s like a treasure hunt where I find things that I lost months ago, and things I totally forgot I owned. If you’re like me, once you start cleaning or organizing something, you want to do everything else in your vicinity. This actually helps me burn a lot of time! I think the hardest part with doing this is mustering up the will to get up and actually start doing it. 

2. Get A Green Thumb

No, not literally. What I think occupies me for the largest amount of time is gardening. Usually, I wouldn’t recommend gardening to anyone living in San Antonio because the weather is too hot for almost the entire year, and even after taking all the needed precautions, some plants still burn up. However, recently I’ve noticed that the temperature has been great for gardening, which means now is the best time to seize your opportunity. For a quick and easy hour of gardening, I’d recommend planting pre-grown seasonals, like the ones you can get from The Home Depot. For something a little more time consuming, but nonetheless fun, I would recommend buying seeds. Gardening may sound like a bit of a drag, but is one of the most fun ways to kill your boredom and get you up and moving! Not to mention how rewarding it is to see your plants growing properly. 

3. Barnes and Noble Haul? 

I’m usually not much of a reader, I think it’s mostly because I never found the time to read with all the homework and projects I had to worry about during the semester. Since I had time to spare, I decided to make a trip to Barnes & Noble to hopefully find a few good books to buy. I was expecting to walk out with nothing, which is how my trips there usually play out, but after a solid 2 hours of reading the first chapter of whatever books caught my eye, I ended up buying some. I know I can’t make you read, but I do encourage spending at least an hour sifting through books and actually reading a couple of chapters before making a decision about them. You might find one that really catches your attention.

4. You’re Never Too prepared: 

This semester was my first semester of college. I downloaded apps and made accounts for a lot of websites that I hoped would help me stay organized during the semester, but I never ended up using any of them. This was mostly because I didn’t set them up well enough in advance for me to use them throughout the semester. This is why I decided to start this process earlier. Yesterday I redid my Notion account for the spring semester, and created sub-pages within my Notion page that would link me to helpful resources. I set up a few other websites for next semester, but I’ll make an article about that some other time. The point is, it is never too early to start getting prepared for the next semester. It’s a great way to make sure you won’t feel overwhelmed the week before the semester begins if you’re a total worrywart like me.  

Hi! I'm Leeza! I'm currently working to pursue a major in Computer Science and a minor in Foreign languages! Some of my hobbies include gardening, drawing, and spending time with my (very moody) rabbit. I'm glad to be a part of HerCampus and get involved with the community!